Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instavolt 120kW chargers - what’s your best Tesla charge rate/output?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fairly sure the 120 kW units at MaccyD’s, Costa etc are limited to around 80 kW output for Tesla’s by dint of their 200A current limit when charging 400V cars.

I tried this morning with a pre-con’d battery on the way to being warm around 30% SoC and 9C outside. The car was getting around 66 kW.

So please pique my curiosity, has anybody seen more than 80 kW charge rate from these Instavolt units (on a Tesla)?

Yeah apologies folks, been having a discussion on another EV forum firstly trying to conclude whether these particular Instavolt units (made by BYD Auto) were 400v only or multi voltage.

Turns out that they are the latter (200-1000VDC) actually. But current limited per unit at 200A on the CCS2 cable output. Therefore theoretically tops out around 80 kW with Teslas.

However it’s just been brought to my attention that they also power share, so it’s unlikely to get the headline rate unless you’re charging on your own in an 800V car. Otherwise more like 60-something KW. Irrespective of what you rock up driving.

This morning I manged to get around 66 kW with a warm-ish battery at around 30% parked next to an Openreach electric van charging on the other unit.

So yeah bit of an experiment. Certainly won’t be making a habit of it at 75p per unit and the McMuffins are killing my waistline!! 😅

898CB2A1-1863-44AC-A3AE-A14E8F5BA0DF.jpeg

Upvote 0
A lot of the 50kW EVSE are quite long in the tooth, both design wise and operationally.

The Chinese-made BYD Auto units that Instalvolt are using are quite new, relatively. The one I was at was April 2021 manufacture. That must have a part to play, reliability wise.
Loads of old ABB 50kw around Scotland, I've only got about a 20% success rate using those machines and I've never actually pulled 50kw from one. So it makes instavolt look good lmao

• Funny
Reactions: Sean.
Upvote 0
Instavolt sucks for price/speed but it's one of the few charging networks I have yet to find broken/out of service when I've used them. I'm sure they have downtime but the reliability seems much better than most other networks using 50kw machines.
That might be because they don't get used as much as others, where I am instavolt are only at one chain of supermarkets. As usual they don't have the chargers for EV owners, instead just a way to lure customers in.

Upvote 0
Just goes to show how much people value reliability… very interesting.
I, for one, would suffer the 75p when in a pinch if I knew I’d be navigating to a post that’s more than likely going to work…
My octogenarian parents like Instavolt. They dont DC charge their Kia often but when they do, ease of use and reliability are way more important to them than price. Instavolt has not let them down yet.

Upvote 0
I don’t think I ever got more than about 40kW out of any InstaVolt chargers…
I managed near enough 71 kW today, charging on my lonesome. That I believe is the on or about maximum these chargers will deliver (198 amps from a max of 200A) on a depleted Tesla battery at around 355V....

Then I went down the road to Fastned which was cheaper and faster again.

Upvote 0
That might be because they don't get used as much as others, where I am instavolt are only at one chain of supermarkets. As usual they don't have the chargers for EV owners, instead just a way to lure customers in.
They one of the few semi decent chargers between Aberdeen-Inverness and both of them are at petrol stations right on the main road rather than supermarkets. Sometimes I feel like they just throw a dart at the map and hope for the best. I needed a quick charge in Edinburgh a few weeks ago and the nearest/fastest option was a 50kw instavolt in a macdonalds car park...

Upvote 0