Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument Cluster Delamination

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey clubbers,

I've purchased a used IC for my '15 MS 70D MCU1 to replace mine that's delammed. It arrives soon.
I plan on putting some kind of tape around the edges of the screen to stop the delam, and was curious if anyone had done that as well, and if so, which kind of tape did you use?
I'm thinking about using clear Gorilla tape, but that may be too thick. I'll have to see how much of a gap there is between screen and frame.
It shouldn't show since the IC deco-trim will cover it, as long as it's cut just enough to overlap the front and back.
I could use electrical tape, but I'm worried it might not remain attached over time with the heat.

I'll have to take some pics and share them here.

From everything I've read, there is no simple fix other than the later-generation LG display. If you bought a new LCD display (i.e. made in the last couple of years) it should be problem-free - but then again, they haven't been out long enough to know for sure. The problems seem to have stopped with Gen-3 ICs (used with MCU2). Here are far more IC details that I wrote up a few weeks ago: Instrument Cluster – TeslaTap

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
From everything I've read, there is no simple fix other than the later-generation LG display. If you bought a new LCD display (i.e. made in the last couple of years) it should be problem-free - but then again, they haven't been out long enough to know for sure. The problems seem to have stopped with Gen-3 ICs (used with MCU2). Here are far more IC details that I wrote up a few weeks ago: Instrument Cluster – TeslaTap
Thanks! Good info.
I'll just take apart the new one and see what I'm working with. I feel like thin strips along the bottom and sides would suffice.
Just block the glue from going anywhere.
I bought my MS from a dealership, already seeing the delam prior to purchase. Used it as a bargaining chip. Got them to "split the difference" on the $1500 price from TSC, but knew I could get a replacement for $200 and do it myself. So I get to pocket the savings and use it for other things.

Upvote 0
Clever! One owner used epoxy around the edges and that didn't stop the leakage. Cleanup tip - use alcohol wipes. They work great at cleaning the goo. An interesting data point would be the manufacturing date of your new display (if it's printed on the label).

Upvote 0
Clever! One owner used epoxy around the edges and that didn't stop the leakage. Cleanup tip - use alcohol wipes. They work great at cleaning the goo. An interesting data point would be the manufacturing date of your new display (if it's printed on the label).
No date on the label, just the SN and PN.
I took a pic of the back of mine while I did a dash trim swap, but I wasn't aware at the time of which revision was compatible, so I just got the same one as mine. It's a -D rev.

Upvote 0
I got the IC swap done this wknd. And what I did to hopefully stop any delam on this one was I put some Gorilla mounting tape along the bottom of the screen. It didn't stay attached to the front screen very long. I tried to score the top cover layer since I didn't need the double-sided glue, but it stayed long enough for me to get it reassembled, which held it nicely where its needed. So the actual edge where most leaks occur is covered. Only time will tell, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Attachments

• 20230129_105052.jpg
    20230129_105052.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 20230129_105116.jpg
    20230129_105116.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230129_105937.jpg
    20230129_105937.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230129_111841.jpg
    20230129_111841.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230129_113448.jpg
    20230129_113448.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230129_120759.jpg
    20230129_120759.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230129_120815.jpg
    20230129_120815.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0
Good work! I had always thought to make pre-active decision and tape the screen edges. Still havent done on mine but I have thought to use this tape for the work.
Well, I chose this particular tape because it won't saturate.
But after putting it on, it didn't want to hold on to the screen side, started to pull away, so I tried taking a razor and scoring the bend, but of course didn't want to risk cutting all the way through. The tape still started to lift over time. Screen probably has a coating of some kind on it that's stopping the tape from sticking.
So I decided it was fine as is since the edges were staying on, put the cluster assembly back together and installed it anyway since you can't see it once it's behind the IC frame in the dash. The true test will be this summer I guess when the weather heats up.
But I've already acquired everything to tint all my windows, including front windshield, with ceramic tint. So it should stay a little cooler inside. Because my MCU1 center screen hasn't shown signs yet of delamination, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Upvote 0