Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance claim and Sentry cam footage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum and was rather hoping my first thread was a happier one....

On Monday some kind person reversed into my P- whilst it was parked {denting the rear panel] and drove off. Fortunately the sentry cam captured the incident. No one else other than the driver who hit my car witnessed the event. I've made a claim with my insurance company who have been very good. My question is has anyone else had experience of basing a claim on the camera footage alone? and issues or problems they had doing so?

Many thanks

My car was struck by another at the end of January. The other person got out of her car, looked at the damage then drove off. The video is crystal clear. I made a claim that night and reported it to the police (incident on 29 January). The insurance company (LV) advised me verbally that it was a no fault claim. The police arrived in 2 February and viewed the video, requested a copy and went off to charge the other driver with leaving the scene. On the 3rd February, the insurance company requested a copy of the video and I received a letter about a week later confirming a no fault claim and authorising a repair. Both the insurance company and the police were pleased with the evidence I provided.

I would strongly advise that you contact the police and report it

Many thanks all will notify the police as the driver didn't stop after the accident also have just been notified by the insurance company that they regard it as a no fault claim.
The other driver has 24hrs to report the accident, if they haven't done this then they have committed a criminal offence and will be charged.

Don't mess with a Tesla!!

I've made a claim with my insurance company who have been very good

Sounds like your Insurer has done a good job, and often they aren’t as diligent as you would like. Just for info, in a case like this you don’t have to add your Insurer into the loop at claim stage. You can obtain the the 3rd party insurance details from the MIB and lodge the claim directly with the other drivers Insurer. They will check with their customer and if he/she disputes then you’d be asked to supply the footage. You then choose the Tesla approved garage for the repairs (or whoever you want) and can hire an equivalent car, if you need one.

Much of it depends on whether you want to take on that work. Personally I have done as the fewer links in the chain the better, and my diary system is much more focussed than my Insurers, where I’m just a policy holder.

At renewal of your policy you disclose a non fault claim which is factored in to the renewal price.

No doubt though, having dashcam footage is a no brainier. I’ve had front/back since well before Sentry was even thought of, and still think I’ll have them on the next one.

MIB link just for reference:

https://www.mib.org.uk/

Reactions: Louis0w and |Chris|
I didn’t have the insurance details of the other driver because they ran away. If I wanted to avoid an excess AND a big rise in my premiums in future I had little option. As it stands i only need to endure a premium rise (that’s bad enough)

I didn’t have the insurance details of the other driver because they ran away. If I wanted to avoid an excess AND a big rise in my premiums in future I had little option. As it stands i only need to endure a premium rise (that’s bad enough)

And that’s exactly what the MIB is for, providing you can get the Reg of the offender. In your case LV were helpful in pursuing the 3rd party. Many aren’t quite as proactive or determined to prove liability as yours was.

My earlier post was simply to advise that you don’t need to involve your Insurer at all, other than the obligatory disclosure at renewal. :)