Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Fraud

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the feeling. I had a similar event where a car in front of me stopped, then put his car in reverse and kept driving while I was honking until he backed right into my front bumper (this is the event that got me to have a dash cam in all my subsequent cars).

He apologized and said he never saw me, that he was trying to back up to get into a spot (the street had diagonal parking spaces). We exchanged info and by the time I called my insurance, they said he claims he was stopped and I rear ended him. A MUCH more believable story since who drives in revers and hits someone on a street (not even a parking lot).

Thankfully, there was a homeless guy I remember seeing so we tracked him down and he remembered the event and put it down on writing for us to submit to our insurance.

The really annoying part is, later I find out my insurance said we lost the case. I couldn't believe it so I called them and find out, they forgot to submit the evidence. They realized it was their fault and removed it from my record and refunded me my deductible.

However, I was just so mad that this guy got away with it...but in the end, it's just not worth it. Nor was it worth it to the insurance company to try to get this guy.

Tell me you gave the homeless guy something! :)

I was in a similar accident in a parking lot, with both cars backing up at the same time. Both insurance companies found me at fault since he was behind me in the accident. My rear bumper ended up hitting his left rear door. I was definitely moving before he was, but the insurance companies said I backed into him, so it was my fault.