Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance in BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before picking up my model 3 I went in to BCAA to get a quote on the optional insurance. Then when I picked up my model 3 at the PNE I asked the insurance agent there to just do basic ICBC insurance. Then once she had registration and basic insurance completed, I then phoned BCAA and they were able to email the paperwork for the optional insurance to the agent at the PNE. Agent then printed the BCAA forms, we signed them, and then she used her phone to scan the signed forms and send them back to BCAA. The only hiccup in the process was that I was on hold with BCAA for a long time.

• Informative
Reactions: Yooner
I was quoted these prices for MX75D (all include the basic ICBC insurance, 2m liability, $500 deductibles and new replacement coverage):
ICBC - 3664
belairdirect - 3580
BCAA - 2596 (after 10% member discount)

these are after max discounts/roadstar etc.

Not sure how others manged to get much lower quotes from belairdirect, but they are pretty much on par with ICBC for me...

Can someone share their experience for third party insurance with BelairDirect for Model 3?
I've had good experience with Belairdirect and they do give a further discount if you have multiple cars.

Note: If you're total price is > $123,000. High deductibles and premiums will trigger.

For optional insurance this is what I was quoted for a Model 3 today when checking around:
Code:
Company Deductible Premium
------- ---------- ------- 
Belair  $ 500      $ 1,614 
BCAA    $ 500      $ 1,293

Belair  $ 1,000    $ 1,311 
BCAA    $ 1,000    $ 1,117

I've had good experience with Belairdirect and they do give a further discount if you have multiple cars.

Note: If you're total price is > $123,000. High deductibles and premiums will trigger.

For optional insurance this is what I was quoted for a Model 3 today when checking around:
Code:

I have the optional insurance from BCAA and my premium is 1233 with 300 deductible, and 0 deductible for all glasses.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul Carter

Code:

When I looked into Belair, it required some kind of app on android or iPhones, do you actually need it?

BCAA today told me they're reviewing all Model 3 insurance polices because they increased my initial quote of $920 to $1300 due to an issue with the underwriter! I was some pissed.

(5 million/300/300/replacement)

• Informative
Reactions: phtp
When I looked into Belair, it required some kind of app on android or iPhones, do you actually need it?
I think that you actually do need it now, but not previously. I ran the first version of the app for 6 months and achieved a 13% discount, but the app was a piece of crap. Deducted discount if you stopped for an orange light (hard braking) or accelerated onto the highway to avoid getting rear-ended. As far as I could see, it was more useful in confirming the hours and locations of the majority of your travel.

However, I just insured a Model 3 for my mother (Belair was much cheaper than ICBC and Family, but we're not in Vancouver so YMMV) and she was told she needed to run the app. It wasn't clear for how long, but I inferred that it *might* be a permanent thing. I'll check. The app is significantly different now though and will hopefully be better, but it's too soon to know. We were told that it could reduce your rate from what was quoted, but also raise it up to 15% (pretty sure that was the max). I suppose if they can see your driving habits, they can provide a fairer price based on your risk factors. But I'm definitely not impressed with the Big Brother aspects of this system!!

• Informative
Reactions: phtp
Anyone know if I can buy insurance with the VIN before delivery? Easier to shop around now than buying ICBC at delivery and cancelling optional coverage later.
Not really. If you have existing optional insurance and trading in, double check your policy, it may cover it already until you can do it.

Also with Belairdirect (and I assume others) you simple call in after you get your new plate and ICBC registration # and activate and pay (assuming you've already had a quote on file). I read back on here that BCAA also does that but the time waiting on the call can be long.

• Informative
Reactions: dighn