Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

insurance tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets start the discussion here for insurance.
I am in NoVA and shopping around for the tesla that is about to deliver Jan-Apr

What rates you guys are paying, which area and who is the provider.

Does Tesla insurance worth it by knowing that they will be getting all of the vehicle driving tracking etc?

Does Tesla insurance worth it by knowing that they will be getting all of the vehicle driving tracking etc?
Tesla was much higher than mine at usaa. Not giving a number because it’s all apples and oranges depending on coverage and age.

Too many variables. E.g location, credit risk, age, driving history, marital status, home ownership, multi vehicle, bundle discounts, sex, etc.

Shop around is the best I can tell you. Insuring the Tesla generally speaking, is more expensive than other vehicles.

Wish I could give you more help. If it helps I have a 21 Honda Pilot Touring. MSRP about 13k less then MYP but the Tesla costs twice as much to insure.

I use Tesla insurance. As mentioned, your overall policy should take into account various factors, but the Tesla premium goes a step further and rewards safe driving. The Premium is fluid, changes (or stays the same) every 30 days or so, and is based on your driving safety score average, which is data collected from the app. My current Premium is $94.68 a month for comprehensive coverage based on a 99 average safety score. I’m not thrilled about how Tesla scores certain safety factors such as ‘aggressive turning’ and ‘hard braking’, and I feel like I’m challenged to achieve a near perfect score daily to maintain a relatively low premium, which translates to me driving like a grandma on most days. For example, it kills me when I slightly nudge the steering wheel in either direction to complete a painfully slow lane change only to find out later that I got dinged points for ‘aggressive turning’ 😒. It’s still in beta, so hopefully they revise how they assess and assign value to the ‘hard braking’ and ‘aggressive turning’ factors. The good thing is it continuously evaluates your driving throughout the day, so you always have an opportunity to improve your score every time you get behind the wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: shyboy and jose3030
I use Tesla insurance. As mentioned, your overall policy should take into account various factors, but the Tesla premium goes a step further and rewards safe driving. The Premium is fluid, changes (or stays the same) every 30 days or so, and is based on your driving safety score average, which is data collected from the app. My current Premium is $94.68 a month for comprehensive coverage based on a 99 average safety score. I’m not thrilled about how Tesla scores certain safety factors such as ‘aggressive turning’ and ‘hard braking’, and I feel like I’m challenged to achieve a near perfect score daily to maintain a relatively low premium, which translates to me driving like a grandma on most days. For example, it kills me when I slightly nudge the steering wheel in either direction to complete a painfully slow lane change only to find out later that I got dinged points for ‘aggressive turning’ 😒. It’s still in beta, so hopefully they revise how they assess and assign value to the ‘hard braking’ and ‘aggressive turning’ factors. The good thing is it continuously evaluates your driving throughout the day, so you always have an opportunity to improve your score every time you get behind the wheel.

I will always be in 'aggressive turning' and 'hard braking' purgatory.

Too many variables. E.g location, credit risk, age, driving history, marital status, home ownership, multi vehicle, bundle discounts, sex, etc.

Shop around is the best I can tell you. Insuring the Tesla generally speaking, is more expensive than other vehicles.

Wish I could give you more help. If it helps I have a 21 Honda Pilot Touring. MSRP about 13k less then MYP but the Tesla costs twice as much to insure.
Thank you.
There are probably gazillions of insurance companies, maybe by stating which company is giving better rates would help me and others to get custom quote and see our rates.

Just thought it might help me and others.

I tried Erie insurance, which I never heard and someone said in one of the threads here. The price quote (without tesla) it gave me was three times of what I am currently paying with Elephant Insurance.

Thank you.
There are probably gazillions of insurance companies, maybe by stating which company is giving better rates would help me and others to get custom quote and see our rates.

Just thought it might help me and others.

I tried Erie insurance, which I never heard and someone said in one of the threads here. The price quote (without tesla) it gave me was three times of what I am currently paying with Elephant Insurance.
Geico is who I'm with and has good rates. NJM was also very close. This is for my risk profile though of course

I don't like the driving data collection for insurance. It's only a matter of time I feel before insurance companies start sharing that info! I bought a Tesla for a reason. If I wanted a boring appliance I would have bought a Nissan leaf. 😂

Reactions: scratch
Geico is who I'm with and has good rates. NJM was also very close. This is for my risk profile though of course

I don't like the driving data collection for insurance. It's only a matter of time I feel before insurance companies start sharing that info! I bought a Tesla for a reason. If I wanted a boring appliance I would have bought a Nissan leaf. 😂
The tracking bothers me. Would prefer my rates are based on my outstanding driving record.

I'm with Amica and it's relatively cheap.

While highly speculative it’s not beyond the realm of possibility. I’ll stick with Tesla insurance for the time being but I would prefer to partake in more spirited driving without being subjected to a high level of scrutiny about my driving behavior, especially knowing I’m not being “unsafe” based on (in my opinion) unrealistic metrics.

While highly speculative it’s not beyond the realm of possibility. I’ll stick with Tesla insurance for the time being but I would prefer to partake in more spirited driving without being subjected to a high level of scrutiny about my driving behavior, especially knowing I’m not being “unsafe” based on (in my opinion) unrealistic metrics.
Exactly. Behavior collected by these systems IMO isn't a good measure of safety. For example hard braking. Why would you penalize someone for braking hard when that's necessary to avoid a collision. It doesn't say anything conclusive about your safety as a driver.

Heck they even look at the time of day you drive. Sorry I agree that I prefer to use my record. Zero accidents and zero tickets. I don't feel these systems are accurate.

Is it highly speculative? A lot of other info is already shared for the purposes of risk assessment. The telematics data is still fairly new by insurance standards. You can bet at some point it will be standardized and shared across the industry to protect insurers from potential losses....once the take rate is high enough and the public more accepting of having all their info tracked. Yes speculation but not much of a stretch IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_20230125_110616.png
    IMG_20230125_110616.png
    137.5 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: shyboy
I’m in the dmv as well and expecting delivery of my MYLR in about a week. For what it’s worth I’m a current Allstate customer but moving to Travelers. MY is costing $1400 a year but by using their intelidrive for 90 days it could drop another $300. But main reason for for moving to travelers was home owners. My homeowners dropped by $1200 a year…more than half what I was paying.

These are good questions to ask, and others have answered as I would. Pricing totally depends upon the carrier’s underwriting criteria for the very specifics of your individual situation. About the only way to answer accurately is for you to get quotes from multiple companies for your needs and coverage desires including whatever minimum coverage is set by your state.

But price isn’t the only factor. Given that this is insurance, you’ll never know how good or bad the policy is until you need it and submit a claim. I would argue the claims process and outcomes are every bit as important as premium costs. How quickly is a claim paid? What do you get in a totaled situation? How quick is the carrier to total a vehicle? How much hassle FOR YOU is each step in the claims process? Others can share information about their experiences with a given carrier which can possibly be extrapolated to all those insured by that carrier. Even with that, adjusters for a carrier are humans and will vary in their damage assessments, repair ability, and costs across the US…but at least the process should be consistent.

For me, I’ve used USAA for decades and find their costs competitive, sometimes the lowest, sometimes slightly above average, but with a claims process that FOR ME has been quick, pretty painless, with results as I‘d expected. In that time I’ve had three claims, none of which was my fault but that matters less with no fault being the norm in many states. Two were repair jobs, one was a total. I’m pleased with the value I believe I’m receiving and am unlikely to change carriers. In fairness, I do check rates with other carriers every 4-5 years to keep everyone honest.