Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intel chip time again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys clearly don't have an understanding of Tesla. They don't care about transparency or wanting people's money at this point. I agree that this whole Intel/AMD thing is blown out of proportion. No one will notice or care in their day-to-day use of the system. There's bigger issues with Tesla than what chip you get. If you get a car with aligned seats and panels and a quality paint job, count yourself as a winner, even with an Intel chip.

You guys clearly don't have an understanding of Tesla. They don't care about transparency or wanting people's money at this point. I agree that this whole Intel/AMD thing is blown out of proportion. No one will notice or care in their day-to-day use of the system. There's bigger issues with Tesla than what chip you get. If you get a car with aligned seats and panels and a quality paint job, count yourself as a winner, even with an Intel chip.
I would eventually notice. Each update gets more complex code that the CPU has to process. Try running iOS 15 on an iPhone 7.
But you are right; they definitely don't care about transparency. Not until enough people complain about it. Probably best to complain on Twitter because that is where Elon lives.

Also there are reports that the new AMD processor is taking up more energy and reducing range. Why isn't Tesla updating the EPA range for these builds???

Likely because where this is a thing, they are not using EPA range, but an "even more unrealistic than EPA range" number (WLTP). As far as we know "less range from power of the amd ryzen chip" is not a thing, at least not as it pertains to EPA range.

I would eventually notice. Each update gets more complex code that the CPU has to process. Try running iOS 15 on an iPhone 7.
But you are right; they definitely don't care about transparency. Not until enough people complain about it. Probably best to complain on Twitter because that is where Elon lives.
If Tesla didn’t allow you to see what chip you had, you wouldn’t be able to tell a difference in daily use. It’s one of those things you can see and mentally it makes a difference.
Sure the AMD is better in benchmark tests or if you have it directly next to the Intel, but it’s not like the Intel is 3G and the AMD is 4G LTE.

• Disagree
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
They are transparent, nothing on the ordering site says anything about AMD or Intel. I think people are going a little crazy over this.
Actually that would be the opposite of transparent. If they stated you may get an AMD or Intel chip, but neither is guaranteed at the time of sale. That would be transparency.
I don’t think they need to do this though, honestly if the chip is the most important thing you’re worried about you should be buying a computer, not a car.

Actually that would be the opposite of transparent. If they stated you may get an AMD or Intel chip, but neither is guaranteed at the time of sale. That would be transparency.
I don’t think they need to do this though, honestly if the chip is the most important thing you’re worried about you should be buying a computer, not a car.
I bought a computer. It has a 16 core processor. 😊 Some of us just like computing power. Now I want to buy a car.. with a fast CPU and no lag. I have read that some owners with Intel are starting to have lagging issues with their rearview cameras. That could probably be just the beginning as new updates get released.

If I want to pay $70k for a 2022 car, I prefer not to have a 2017 CPU. If I keep this car for five years, this CPU will be ten years old. Just think back at how computers ran ten years ago. Some are ok with that, but I am not—individual preference.

I bought a computer. It has a 16 core processor. 😊 Some of us just like computing power. Now I want to buy a car.. with a fast CPU and no lag. I have read that some owners with Intel are starting to have lagging issues with their rearview cameras. That could probably be just the beginning as new updates get released.

If I want to pay $70k for a 2022 car, I prefer not to have a 2017 CPU. If I keep this car for five years, this CPU will be ten years old. Just think back at how computers ran ten years ago. Some are ok with that, but I am not—individual preference.
I picked up an AMD car 4 days ago and even my backup camera takes a second or so to pop up so I can't imagine what it would be like with intel

AMD vs. Intel probably doesn't matter much today, or even a year from now, but take a look at the state of MCU1 cars a few years after MCU2/Intel Atom rolled out. It's definitely worth delaying a few months and getting a Ryzen to hedge against history repeating itself with software support for the older Intel MCU.

FYI, How to tell if your VIN has AMD or Intel:

- Go to a tesla location (Sales, Delivery, or Service Center) and have them look up your VIN in the Tesla Garage application
- Have them search the attribute “car computer”
- “infoz” means you have an AMD CPU
- “ice” means you have an Intel CPU

Many sales/delivery advisors don’t bother looking this up and just say that it “should” have the “latest specs”. This way you should be able to confirm for sure.

If Tesla didn’t allow you to see what chip you had, you wouldn’t be able to tell a difference in daily use. It’s one of those things you can see and mentally it makes a difference.
Sure the AMD is better in benchmark tests or if you have it directly next to the Intel, but it’s not like the Intel is 3G and the AMD is 4G LTE.
I’m sorry but you are wrong. CPU upgrades are not just about the CPU speed, there’s a GPU upgrade as well as RAM speed upgrades as well. You will absolutely notice a difference in general usage of a newer processor vs an older one.

Actually, iOS 15.3.1 runs very well on my iPhone7, and my wife’s iPhoneSE (1st gen). No noticeable differences, i.e., not better, not worse, from the iOS14 versions or previous. Just a datapoint here, I do get your point.
iPhone 7 uses A10 chip and iPhone SE uses A9 chip. Literally 1 year difference so obviously you don’t feel improvement. Try using an iPhone SE 2020 with A13 chip (3-4 years newer like Ryzen). The difference is tangible.

I have to agree with alot of folks on here on the importance of getting the latest chip. I had a 2015 model S purchased 11/2015 with the Nvidia chip. Shortly after getting the car, they updated to the Intel chip. My infotainment/map experience began to erode very quickly to the point that I stopped using alot of the features. I eventually stopped getting the updates such as Netflix and so many other cool things folks loved about their Tesla's. I now have a 2022 model S with the Ryzen chip and it's silky smooth. We also have a model y on order with an EDD next month (assuming the date sticks) and there is absolutely no way I'd take an older chipset after my last experience in 2015. Maybe it doesn't matter right now but I guarantee it will in a few years. By then there is nothing you can do about it but hope you can pay up for a chipset upgrade....for a hefty fee

I see 2 potentials:

1: Global chip shortage, Tesla cant sole source contract with just 1 chip manufacturer to hit the delivery numbers. So, they are actively assembling both cars as supplies allow. They are also cannibalizing redundant safety systems to get enough semiconductors to keep the factories humming along.

2: people getting assigned Intel Vins are actually getting a car rejected by someone else at delivery.

I have to agree with alot of folks on here on the importance of getting the latest chip. I had a 2015 model S purchased 11/2015 with the Nvidia chip. Shortly after getting the car, they updated to the Intel chip. My infotainment/map experience began to erode very quickly to the point that I stopped using alot of the features. I eventually stopped getting the updates such as Netflix and so many other cool things folks loved about their Tesla's. I now have a 2022 model S with the Ryzen chip and it's silky smooth. We also have a model y on order with an EDD next month (assuming the date sticks) and there is absolutely no way I'd take an older chipset after my last experience in 2015. Maybe it doesn't matter right now but I guarantee it will in a few years. By then there is nothing you can do about it but hope you can pay up for a chipset upgrade....for a hefty fee
I would agree with taking the older chipset. But another way to think is that everyone who was getting cars until about January 5th 2022 were getting the older chipset before AMD rolled out. They didn’t know any better yet here we are less than two months later so worried. I’m one of those expecting a VIN and worried I’ll get old so not bashing. Dang it Tesla, why you have to do us like that, haha.

Reactions: Volleyballmom