TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Intelsat 35e on the way up...

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by BrettS, Jul 5, 2017.

1. BrettS

BrettS Member

IMG_0005.PNG I live about 40 miles from Kennedy Space Center and on clear days I can see the rockets on their way up from my front porch. Here’s my view of the latest SpaceX launch.

• Like x 15
  2. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

I missed the actual launch but got to see the second stage burn and deployment of the satellite. Nice photo BrettS.

3. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Nice photo- is it loud at your house?
    The photo reminds me a lot of the Apollo 13 movie: looking up at the moon from Cmdr's front yard... way emotive.

4. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

That is a hell of a shot. Well done.

5. BrettS

BrettS Member

I’m far enough away that you really can’t hear much, but that does remind me of kind of a funny story. Shortly after I had moved down to Florida 9 years ago there was a night shuttle launch. I had heard that you could see the launches from where I lived, so my ex (who wasn’t my ex at the time) and I went out to try to look for it. We apparently had gotten a bit turned around and were looking in the wrong direction (and not really seeing anything) and we were about to give up when I heard my ex say, “why is the sky all glowy over there?” I turned around and the shuttle really did light up the clouds and the sky as it took off.

Being able to see them is definitely hit or miss from where I am depending on the cloud cover, but when I can see them, especially at night, it’s pretty amazing.

• Like x 1