Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you find out about upcoming SpaceX launches?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to get notified about upcoming SpaceX launches? I don’t use Twitter/X anymore, but even when I did, that wasn’t a reliable way to find out about launches. The upcoming launch page on the SpaceX website doesn’t always show upcoming launches that have already been announced.

I can see Cape Canaveral launches from my back yard, even though I live about 160 miles south of there. It would be great to get notifications ahead of time so I could catch more launches.

Well, a launch isn't a launch until the rocket lifts off the pad. They scrub and postpone right up to the last few seconds.

There are public calendars that you can add to your favorite calendar program, and create notifications from there. Otherwise I'm not familiar with a good way of keeping track of this stuff. If you find one definitely let us know in this thread!

To be clear, I’m not looking for notifications when the launch actually happens, just when they get scheduled. Once I know it’s happening, I can monitor progress on the SpaceX site shortly before the scheduled time. If I find a solution, I’ll let you know.

FYI: The app is called Space Launch Now, and there were several other similar apps in the App Store.
That's interesting! I definitely have had an app called "SpaceXNow" for the last 4-5 years at least, but I don't see it in the iOS App Store as I'm just looking now. I'll have to look at Space Launch Now (which I did see). Next Spaceflight is another app I've played with, that also does what you were looking for.

Bruce.

That's interesting! I definitely have had an app called "SpaceXNow" for the last 4-5 years at least, but I don't see it in the iOS App Store as I'm just looking now. I'll have to look at Space Launch Now (which I did see). Next Spaceflight is another app I've played with, that also does what you were looking for.

Bruce.
Space Launch Now hasn’t been generating notifications for me, even though both the iOS and in-app notification settings are enabled. I’ve configured it to track launches from Florida only, for any company. However, it was showing yesterday’s SpaceX launch from CA even though I didn’t get notifications. There’s a SpaceX launch scheduled for FL tonight, but no notifications for that one yet. I rebooted my iPhone a little while ago to see if that helps.

Reactions: Grendal
An update: I’ve tried installing some of the other apps that track SpaceX (and other) launches, but most of them don’t let you customize notifications by location, and others just don’t seem to work. Space Launch Now has the right feature set for me, so I’m hoping I can get the notifications to work. Nothing yet. I checked and Background App Refresh is on.

If it’s working for you, which iOS version are you on? I’m on 17.1.2, iPhone 14 Pro.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
I started getting notifications from Space Launch Now yesterday, a couple of hours before the launch, but for some reason I missed them all, despite having them on both my iPhone and Apple Watch. Notification sounds and haptics are enabled, so I don’t know why I missed the alerts, but I guess the app is working now. I was able to see yesterday’s launch from my back yard, pretty cool.