TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Interest in "The Volt".

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by TEG, Aug 12, 2008.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Watching the commercials for the Volt durning the Olympics. Good spots. Makes me want to buy (at least look at) the Volt.

Of course those liquid-car commercials for the hydrogen BMW and the water pistol Honda spots are cool too. Alot of money spend selling cars you can't buy.

3. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

As I understand it, no one on that waiting list has put any money down or signed any sales contract. That's a pretty low bar to be declared a "buyer".

4. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

5. DDB

DDB Member

The question is, at what price do these 33,000 buy? If it were on the market today at $35,000, I think I'd bite. The word is it'll be $40,000 as it stands and I think I'd bite too. But something tells me that 33,000 just dropped to about 5,000.

6. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Interesting thig about the posts on that site is that the VOLT is too expensive. Different prespecive from a different class of worker.

7. Chris H.

Chris H. Member

Bob Lutz not happy with Letterman's comments about the Volt on Wednesday night's show:

Stupid Human Trick | GM FastLane

DL did make it sound like the total range of the Volt was 40 miles. He didn't mention the extended range.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#10 TEG, May 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Some of the prelim Volt ads didn't talk about the range extender either. Like this "up to 40 miles without a drop of gas" spot:

GM seemed to be trying to portray it as an EV with an "emergency generator" (to help out for those "rare" times you don't have a chance to plug it in). Sort of a squishy spot to be in trying to convince you it is an EV not a hybrid, but the EV only range falls well short of dedicated EVs.

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Bob, you just don't get it. Elon got Dave's attention by simply making a great car. In fact he bought one.

Which is why he takes his Tesla. It can fly 5+ times further on a charge than the Volt.

Didn't you just use the word "palatial" to describe Dave's home? Who has swans?

But only enough to go 40 miles...

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Haha, I like how they praise how quiet it is and then:

I hope the Model S won't have this. Chevy looks like it's getting it mostly right so far... but 40 mile range isn't to my liking... nor is the fact I'd be using gas after that