Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interested in Selling Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for anyone that is an early reservation holder that is considering selling their Model 3. Looking to get a new car in the next 4-8 months and the Model 3 is my current choice. Thank you!
It's in your best interest to pre-order one and get a junker between now and then or a Nissan Leaf, I heard those are becoming dirt cheap.

If you get a reservation holder to sell you their car they will likely take the tax credit and sell the car to you for a premium, meaning if you were to pay $3000ish impatient tax above the brand new price and considering the owner would get the $7500 tax credit, you'd be out over $10,000 since you forgot to reserve one last year.

That or look for a used Model S, here's a few in a similar price range to Model 3.
Pre-Owned Model S | Tesla

It's in your best interest to pre-order one and get a junker between now and then or a Nissan Leaf, I heard those are becoming dirt cheap.

If you get a reservation holder to sell you their car they will likely take the tax credit and sell the car to you for a premium, meaning if you were to pay $3000ish impatient tax above the brand new price and considering the owner would get the $7500 tax credit, you'd be out over $10,000 since you forgot to reserve one last year.

That or look for a used Model S, here's a few in a similar price range to Model 3.
Pre-Owned Model S | Tesla
Thank you for your reply! I was already expecting to pay a base of $35K for the car as the tax credit would definitely be taken up by then if I waited for the pre-order. I'm looking to spend around $45K for the Model 3.

I am sure, once the final production information is released, the wait for delivery times will increase rapidly. I would place a deposit as soon as possible. No one I know is cancelling their orders....

Ok, that sounds awkward. I am not sure why someone would take ownership, pay taxes, etc, and then sell it to me........ probably at a loss. I was thinking more along lines that I could buy someone else's reservation.
You can't transfer reservations unless granted by Tesla. You wouldn't sell the car at a loss, you would sell it at profit as a seller

Ok, that sounds awkward. I am not sure why someone would take ownership, pay taxes, etc, and then sell it to me........ probably at a loss. I was thinking more along lines that I could buy someone else's reservation.

People can make a lot of money or lose their ass trying to flip 'hot' cars. Usually it only occurs for limited edition cars.

Some folk were trying to make 6 or more reservations which was stopped, and there's a lot of folk who reserved 2 cars.

I'll bet a portion of those folk are 'flippers'. I'm going to guess 90% of them lose or break even. The car is too inexpensive for it to be worth it.

Reactions: Siciliano
People can make a lot of money or lose their ass trying to flip 'hot' cars. Usually it only occurs for limited edition cars.

Some folk were trying to make 6 or more reservations which was stopped, and there's a lot of folk who reserved 2 cars.

I'll bet a portion of those folk are 'flippers'. I'm going to guess 90% of them lose or break even. The car is too inexpensive for it to be worth it.

From your posting, I assume a "flipper" is a person who buys a car with expectation that it will be resold at a profit ???

Reactions: Kacey Green
Thank you for your reply! I was already expecting to pay a base of $35K for the car as the tax credit would definitely be taken up by then if I waited for the pre-order. I'm looking to spend around $45K for the Model 3.

You won't get the tax credit if you get it in a private sale. It'll be a "used" car then. No credit on used cars.