Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting take on future tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. I have a model 3 long-range with 19in OEM Continental tires on it. They are due for replacement in 5000 miles. I'm exploring three options and would appreciate your feedback.
1) Replace with same Continentals
2) Michelin Primacy MXM4
3) Michelin Pilot 4s

Thanks in advance!

Hi there. I have a model 3 long-range with 19in OEM Continental tires on it. They are due for replacement in 5000 miles. I'm exploring three options and would appreciate your feedback.
2) Michelin Primacy MXM4
3) Michelin Pilot 4s

Thanks in advance!
There’s many opinions on this Marks. Let’s both stand by and see who chimes in. I’m exploring the exact same ones as you.

2) Michelin Primacy MXM4
3) Michelin Pilot 4s

Thanks in advance!

What's your priority? Range, handling, grip, comfort

What weather will they be used in? Any chance of snow?

2) Michelin Primacy MXM4
3) Michelin Pilot 4s

Thanks in advance!

If you're interested in a balance of virtues in terms of driving on the street, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the best street Tire around. It's hands-down the best tire in the rain of any kind. And although it's not a great tire for the track it gives a lot of grip and great feedback to go with a very quiet ride and decent although not spectacular rolling resistance. If range is your only priority get the Primacy MXM4. But it's a dog in terms of braking and handling. I've owned four sets of the Pilot Sport 4S and 8 sets of its predecessor tire, the Super Sport. The 4S rides better than the Super Sport, doesn't handle tracking as well, but on balance is the best street tire out there. Just my opinion of course. But if you're interested in the composite of hundreds and hundreds of opinions check out the ratings from users on Tire Rack here

Reactions: hcdavis3
If you're interested in a balance of virtues in terms of driving on the street, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the best street Tire around. It's hands-down the best tire in the rain of any kind. And although it's not a great tire for the track it gives a lot of grip and great feedback to go with a very quiet ride and decent although not spectacular rolling resistance. If range is your only priority get the Primacy MXM4. But it's a dog in terms of braking and handling. I've owned four sets of the Pilot Sport 4S and 8 sets of its predecessor tire, the Super Sport. The 4S rides better than the Super Sport, doesn't handle tracking as well, but on balance is the best street tire out there. Just my opinion of course. But if you're interested in the composite of hundreds and hundreds of opinions check out the ratings from users on Tire Rack here
And the smart people and knowledgeable people like Doug Watt chime in as I hoped. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is the tire for me when it’s time.

2) Michelin Primacy MXM4
3) Michelin Pilot 4s

Thanks in advance!

PilotSport 4S is an excellent street tire (for handling, braking, etc.) as long as you do not deal with freezing conditions, ever.

Keep in mind that the PS4S will likely make your efficiency about 30Wh/mi worse. It might be a slightly smaller change since you currently have the Continentals without aeros.

But, for example, if you're currently getting 240Wh/mi (indicated) with a 300-mile range, the PS4S will take you to about 270Wh/mi with 266-mile range. It's always going to be about the same delta in Wh/mi, so you'll lose more miles on a very efficient RWD vehicle than you would on an AWD, for example (both because it has a higher %-wise impact and the loss is applied over more miles for a single charge for the more efficient vehicle). (Say your LR RWD is getting 220Wh/mi (327mi) while the AWD gets 250Wh/mi (288mi) - with the new PS4S tires you'd be looking at ~288miles for RWD (40-mile reduction) and ~257miles for the AWD (30-mile reduction).) These are just rough estimates of course.

It's possible that since the PS4S is such an excellent tire in wet conditions, that it will hurt even more in wet conditions - I don't have the data on that - but you'll never be making rated range in those conditions anyway regardless of the tire.

Last edited:
Is there a big difference with the Tesla sold Michelin pilot 4s versus the ones Costco sell?

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - variants

There's some debate on the treadwear rating on Tirerack in the above thread. But the acoustic foam is one difference. EDIT (concurrent with @dfwatt's post): Given that's different, I wouldn't be surprised if there were other small differences in the design related to efficiency.

Last edited:
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - variants

There's some debate on the treadwear rating on Tirerack in the above thread. But the acoustic foam is one difference.

Acoustic foam is one difference the others are structural that we don't know very much about. First of all the tread is significantly wider. The 235 / 35 tread width in the Tesla specific pilot 4S is actually greater than any 245 / 35 tread width and is roughly the equal of the three different versions of the pilot 4S in the 255 / 35 size tires. Nobody knows exactly what Michelin did for Tesla in terms of changing structural parameters of the tire, but it's safe to say that the changes are non-trivial. This is totally aside from the acoustic foam and whether or not you regard it's roughly 1db of noise reduction as significant.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life