Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any difference between Pilot Sport 4 and Pilot Sport 4 acoustic tyres?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kelvin 660

White SR+ with LFP battery
Aug 21, 2020
Stonehouse
I'm looking for advice from the community - Coming up to change my rear 18 inch tyres on my model 3 and wondered what is the difference between PS4 and PS4 acoustic tyres, apart from the foam inside the tyre? Given that there is quite a difference in price!

I'm thinking about tread depth (OEM was only 6.5mm), rim protection, road noise, etc.

Or should I be looking at other tyres like the e-primacy fitted to the highland?

Reactions: Fred2
I'm looking for advice from the community - Coming up to change my rear 18 inch tyres on my model 3 and wondered what is the difference between PS4 and PS4 acoustic tyres, apart from the foam inside the tyre? Given that there is quite a difference in price!

I'm thinking about tread depth (OEM was only 6.5mm), rim protection, road noise, etc.

Or should I be looking at other tyres like the e-primacy fitted to the highland?
I fitted standard E-primacy to my M3 2 years ago. No complaints. Good tyres

I got my SR+ on the same day you got yours.

I have done 28,000 miles and am looking at possibly getting Cross Climate 2 wheels to replace the original PS4s.

The foam doesn’t do much, possibly gets rid of certain resonant frequency drones rather than being audibly quieter in normal use. Tread depth should be greater on the normal ones and I suspect the compound is different but probably not much in it. Unless someone has done back to back testing with new sets it is going to be very difficult to get a definitive answer.

The foam doesn’t do much, possibly gets rid of certain resonant frequency drones rather than being audibly quieter in normal use. Tread depth should be greater on the normal ones and I suspect the compound is different but probably not much in it. Unless someone has done back to back testing with new sets it is going to be very difficult to get a definitive answer.
Additional question. Whilst usually not 'recommended', would you have a problem (MOT or otherwise) if you were to replace only one tyre from the different variant.
Essentially, can you have the same tyre type/make/size/model but with the different EV or T0/non-T0 variant on the same axle without any trouble, legally?

Additional question. Whilst usually not 'recommended', would you have a problem (MOT or otherwise) if you were to replace only one tyre from the different variant.
Essentially, can you have the same tyre type/make/size/model but with the different EV or T0/non-T0 variant on the same axle without any trouble, legally?
Certainly no problem from an MOT point of view, assuming the same size, speed and load rating both sides and they meet the manufacturer minimum requirements.

I don't think there would be an issue at all between a T0 and standard variant of a PS4 for example on the same axle as I don't believe there is any significant difference between the two types in terms of handling characteristics.

Reactions: WllXM
Thanks for the replies so far...
So what I've found is, T0 (OEM)Pilot Sports are around £215/each and standard Pilot Sport around £180/each
I also found that Hankook Ventus Prime 4 have a few good reviews on Blackcircles @ £150/each. Anyone using them care to comment?

I changed the rears on my M3P- from PS4 with acoustic foam to PS5's no foam. Couldn't tell the difference in noise or handling. They were more available and cheaper too. Try getting a price from ASDA tyres, they were the cheapest and you choose a fitter local to you.

The Highland example at Bristol had 18 inch E. Primacy fitted!

20231112_114807.jpg

Yes. Since acoustic has foam layer you cannot repair those with tyre repair kit. and it is more expensive as T0
I doubt there is any noticeable difference sound wise.

TLDR- I’m not concerned about OEM T0. Just bought P4S (non Tesla version).

Direct Line Policy booklet says nothing about using non- OEM tyres.

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 / Highway Code Regulation 27 - tyres have to be suitable, inflated, maintained, enough tread etc.

ZenAuto Lease Agreement:
Any replacement tyres must have an equivalent rating to the tyre which is being replaced and be in accordance with manufacturers’ specifications.

BVRLA Fair Wear & Tear Standards
Tyre wear and damage

All tyres, including the spare, must meet minimum UK legal requirements and comply with the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations of tyre type, size and speed rating for the vehicle. There must be no damage to sidewalls or tread.

Tesla Model 3 Manual - Wheels and Tires

So far so good.

Tesla Model 3 Manual - Section “Replacing Tires and Wheels“. Mmm.

At a very stretch when returning a lease car it might be measured against the BVRLA standards. As the BVRLA standards go beyond what is written in the lease if they try it I’ll be complaining re: unfair contract terms.

I think that T0 is a snake oil

Most likely Tesla god a good OEM deal with idea that then gullible owners will pay arm and leg for same ones as OEM. therefore T0s more expensive. but legally tesla cannot enforce T0 or special brand..
Having experienced it on all seasons in the other thread, the other difference is the tyre profile / rim protection you'll have on a T0 to allow for the Aero/Gemini covers vs. the regular ones where they may stick out a bit more.

I finally got round to checking all my tyres properly and was quite shocked to find my front tyres where barley legal due to the way they have been wearing! I'd been measuring only the outside of the tyre, but should have been checking on the inside as well.

1705484009840.png

In the end, I found a good deal on acoustic tyres, at less than £200/tyre from ATS, as they have a special deal running at the moment and luckily they have a depot just down the road. I didn't fancy using a mobile tyre fitter as not sure what happens if you encounter a problem, like out of balance wheel, etc.

1705483710055.png

So only 24,000 miles for a set of tyres. That adds 3.3p/mile to my 2.5p/mile electricity cost. Still the tyre costs would have been the same if it were an ICE car...

I finally got round to checking all my tyres properly and was quite shocked to find my front tyres where barley legal due to the way they have been wearing! I'd been measuring only the outside of the tyre, but should have been checking on the inside as well.

View attachment 1009696

In the end, I found a good deal on acoustic tyres, at less than £200/tyre from ATS, as they have a special deal running at the moment and luckily they have a depot just down the road. I didn't fancy using a mobile tyre fitter as not sure what happens if you encounter a problem, like out of balance wheel, etc.

View attachment 1009694

So only 24,000 miles for a set of tyres. That adds 3.3p/mile to my 2.5p/mile electricity cost. Still the tyre costs would have been the same if it were an ICE car...
might want to get your tracking done at the same time!

Reactions: M3noob and MrBadger