Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any difference between Pilot Sport 4 and Pilot Sport 4 acoustic tyres?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you buy them all? I usually use a local place part of ProTyre.
Possibly. I also used my local Protyre place and initially there was just one tyre in the warehouse, so none were delivered, despite four appearing to be available within 48hrs. They took another day to arrive from somewhere else. They are DOT market 0824 so have recently been manufactured (in Hungary). The price also seems to have increased since I bought. Try the postcode of Micheldever Tyres (Trading as Protyre) in Winchester, SO21 3AP to see what they have at their main office?

Personally I would hang tight for the iON evo stock. They are significantly quieter than the previous Pirellis and although I've not done any long motorway trips since they were fitted the reduction in energy consumption over the last 223 miles has been noticeable in everyday driving.

IMG_3583.jpeg

Last edited:
Possibly. I also used my local Protyre place and initially there was just one tyre in the warehouse, so none were delivered, despite four appearing to be available within 48hrs. They took another day to arrive from somewhere else. They are DOT market 0824 so have recently been manufactured (in Hungary). The price also seems to have increased since I bought. Try the postcode of Micheldever Tyres (Trading as Protyre) in Winchester, SO21 3AP to see what they have at their main office?

Personally I would hang tight for the iON evo stock. They are significantly quieter than the previous Pirellis and although I've not done any long motorway trips since they were fitted the reduction in energy consumption over the last 223 miles has been noticeable in everyday driving.
Yeah I think they might be 1 tyre out, I called them and the stock is network wide, also no one else seems to have any (unless you want to pay £50 a corner more).

You said Hungary, were they marked Hungary? Only the Hankook website says Korea:
https://www.hankooktire.com/uk/en/tire/ion/evo.html
23545ZR18 XL.png

The Ventus Prime 4 says Hungary on the website - if the website is correct and they are really made in Korea just waiting for the next container to come in then - but the price going up is a worry. Will wait another week and see if they come into stock as lots of reading points to the iON Evo being "the chosen one"....

Pleasantly surprised to see more performance oriented ratings of treadwear 320 and traction AA on the Hankook iON evo tyres I just had fitted.
My first observation is OMG they're quiet!

View attachment 1036723

I have the same tyres on my M3P. My thoughts were the same. When driving away from the garage after fitting, it almost sounded like how feels when you have a head cold and your ears are blocked! The difference from the stock Michelin PS4S T0 is absolutely huge. They also pull some pretty ridiculous efficiency numbers. Last summer in an old Freemont M3P on the motorway at 70mph they were sipping a measly 250w/h. Crazy.

Reactions: milesr3
I always find worn tyres, especially those almost completely worn out are much nosier than new tyres, every time I have had tyres fitted the car has sounded quieter driving home - but I don't disagree that the iON Evo must be quieter because the EU labels say 69db and all the other tyres are around 71db or more.

Did this comparison at a local fitter a couple of years ago. They look very similar but in the flesh you can see differences in overall width and rim protection. I've run Tx, Nx and Kx tyres on my Model 3 over the years I've had it without any issues. You never know how quiet or noisy they'll really be until you drive on them, but I tend to go performance over noise so I just turn the music up louder. 😁

DSC_0198.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: milesr3
Did this comparison at a local fitter a couple of years ago. They look very similar but in the flesh you can see differences in overall width and rim protection. I've run Tx, Nx and Kx tyres on my Model 3 over the years I've had it without any issues. You never know how quiet or noisy they'll really be until you drive on them, but I tend to go performance over noise so I just turn the music up louder. 😁

That pic is interesting, as the PS5's are E economy and the PS4's are D, currently the PS5's are listed as C efficiency and the PS4's as B - so they must have updated them since then.

Michelins are good, but compromise wear for performance. If it was a lighter car I think I would go PS4's again, but looking for a bit more economy and range is a good trade for our M3 as can't recall the last time it was out of comfort throttle mode - we are not using the performance enough to warrant the trade off.

That pic is interesting, as the PS5's are E economy and the PS4's are D, currently the PS5's are listed as C efficiency and the PS4's as B - so they must have updated them since then.

Michelins are good, but compromise wear for performance. If it was a lighter car I think I would go PS4's again, but looking for a bit more economy and range is a good trade for our M3 as can't recall the last time it was out of comfort throttle mode - we are not using the performance enough to warrant the trade off.
That photo is of a T0 PS4S vs. generic PS4S. So comparions of the tyre fitted to the M3P at that time.

The new PS S5 will replace the PS4S but it's not released yet in the sizes we'd want. The PS5 is more akin to the old PS4.

I've been a big fan of Michelin over the years, but I have to admit I think they've lost their way a bit recently. We'll see how good the PS S5 is when it's made available, but we don't know if Tesla will fit it. The leaks of the new M3P suggest it will come with Pirellis.

There are other tyres available now which are very competitive against the best Michelin products, including their track tyres. As always, best to read and view as many reviews as you can about the tyres you're thinking of choosing before deciding.