Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior Camera in M3 to monitor Tesla Taxi Riders?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't purchase the FSD and am considering it prior to the price increase. One big question I have before I would allow my M3 to surf for taxi passengers is the ability to monitor or capture video of riders who may vandalize or damage my vehicle. Does the M3 have a camera to monitor interior passengers via the Sentry Mode? I would assume there would be a way in the future to charge passengers for any damage or vandalism?

Nobody knows how any of this is going to work, and perhaps not even Tesla has worked out those kinds of details.

So perhaps more importantly, what would YOU like to be able to do? What would make you comfortable with loaning out your car? How could the internal camera help you?

As far as charging passengers for damage, it's assumed that their credit card would be stored with the Tesla Network, since that is how literally everything works these days. From there, it's a matter of developing a seamless way for owners to report damage and quickly reimbursing them for it. Since the car may be going from one rider to the next, the only way to know who did something would be to review the footage later once damage was discovered. That could be a lot of footage to review - ideally it would be on some kind of cloud-based platform where you could quickly find the incident by scrubbing through video, type in a quick description of the damage, and click send. Of course it doesn't need to be that elaborate unless damaged cars is a widespread problem.

That is exactly what Tesla has said the camera is for. Monitoring the interior for damage/vandalism etc.

Likely what happens is that your car get's home or the next rider logs a report of damage. Then you investigate the issue in the car and request Tesla to pull the videos. This WILL happen. People will spill stuff, break things, or destroy things. The worst damages will be covered by your insurance and Tesla will charge them a fee (similar to Uber) or pursue further if it's major damage.

I know people are worried about their car being damaged, but I think they are missing the financial benefits. You can't do much about wear and tear, but if you are making a couple grand a month then even worst case you could replace your seats etc. at the end of the year. Think of it this way. Right now, if Tesla said "hey, do you want a free model 3? The only catch is that we get to loan it out during the day." Wouldn't you say yes? Or "hey, here is a free rental car you can use when you want, but it's not always yours".