Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I I just received my new model 3 two weeks ago and noticed that the internal temp of the car is significantly higher compared to the temperature outside. The internal temperature shows 27°C while the outside temperature is +2°C. The car is plugged in but not charging, the departure mode is set for 10:15 at night. I do not have sentry mode enabled. Also when I parked it this morning after my night shift my mileage remaining was 222 km and now it’s showing 210 remaining only five hours after being parked. Could someone please explain this to me if they have experienced it themselves

As far as the temperature reading goes, if the car is sitting out in the sun it will pick up a fair bit of heat in the interior. The glass roof allows a lot of sun into the car. Which is welcome in the cold months, but not so nice in July.

For example my car is reading +32C inside and +5C outside and it is in direct sun. Later this afternoon the interior temperature will drop as shade covers the car.

If you are getting a high reading like this all of the time, even at night then it sounds like there might be an issue with the sensor and that would be a reason to open a service ticket.

I I just received my new model 3 two weeks ago and noticed that the internal temp of the car is significantly higher compared to the temperature outside. The internal temperature shows 27°C while the outside temperature is +2°C. The car is plugged in but not charging, the departure mode is set for 10:15 at night. I do not have sentry mode enabled. Also when I parked it this morning after my night shift my mileage remaining was 222 km and now it’s showing 210 remaining only five hours after being parked. Could someone please explain this to me if they have experienced it themselves
Car sitting in the sun heats up the interior ? Nothing different than other cars.

You car loses energy sitting there doing nothing without a charger plugged in. 1% a day Tesla say with Sentry off. If Sentry is on you can loose 1% per hour. Looking at the app several time a day also wakes up the car.

Push the xxxkm so it shows % of battery. Where more accurate.

Any car glass acts like a greenhouse, so it naturally heats up in the sun. Note you can get roof sunshades for your car, especially ones that have reflectors to reduce the heat (Tesla also sells some in their store, although without the reflective layer). Note the older models and 2021+ models are not the same size though (so make sure you buy the right one).
https://www.amazon.com/Sunshade-Shades-Skylight-Reflective-Upgarde/dp/B092YST673/
You can also get sunshades for the front of the car.

As for the drain on the car, Sentry mode is the biggest drain on the battery, it drains about 1 mile per hour:
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla
Cabin Overheat protection also keeps your car awake and may drain battery more quickly (as does Keep Climate On, Dog, and Camp modes)
Summon Standby Mode may also keep the car awake:
With the car asleep and not checking on it with the app, in my experience it drains only about 1 mile per day.

Good to know thanks. So in the summer when it’s hot as hell your car will regulate the temperature inside so it doesn’t over heat ?
Yes, cabin over heat protection if enabled will automatically turn the aircon on/off
it also has no AC option

If your interior temp sensor is faulty
Reading high temp it may be causing cabin over heat protection to come on

Scheduled departure at 10PM at night, the car maybe also trying to warm the batteries and interior
Depending on your shore power capacity it may not be enough to keep up