Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior noise on Freeway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any solutions?

Acceleration shudder also has lot of posts but doesn’t have any solutions.

With Model X, the powertrain is great. Rest isn’t. Suspension, Interior, Audio, Interior noise, Seat Comfort, Utility, Reliability - they are all notches below competitors who are 10s of thousand cheaper.

My acceleration shudder was fixed by SC. They took it in and replaced some parts. The ride now is so much smoother. I really dont think there is anything to do about the noise. I think its the lack of sufficient insulation that leads to noise leaking into the cabin.

My car is good with those other things. I did get the premium sound package which is excellent at speeds 50 and under. Above 50, quality is irrelevant because of the volume of the road noise. I've seen people say the noise is because of the use of double seals vs. triple seals that are supposedly the industry standard, but, haven't seen anyone say they replaced those seals and lowered noise by 5 db or even just say it was subjectively quieter.

The noise I hate is from the tires on the road. I know this bc my commute has a portion of the highway that is smooth asphalt interspersed with aggregate rough pebble type surface. When you go from one surface to the other at 70 mph, the sound goes from pleasantly quiet to talk very loud to be heard/turn up the radio by 3 numbers to hear it. Insane! So, is it coming through the body of the car via the wheel wells or even the axle or is it coming through the door/windows and particularly through the seals they use? I'm willing to spend money to fix it, but the specific diagnosis eludes me.

Reactions: vandacca
Tire and road noise is there, doesn't bother me as much as when trucks drive by. Its so loud it feels like the whole cabin is shaking and it feels like they are going to plow right through me. I hate it! I would pay a couple grand to have this issue fixed, even if it meant making the car heavier by couple hundred pounds.

Reactions: vandacca