Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior noise on Freeway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I finally started doing longer trips in Model X.

Yesterday, we noticed that the interior noise level was pretty high. My wife was sitting right behind me but we couldn't hear each other well. The noise seems to be much more than other cars we have had and getting to an uncomfortable point.

The highway is in the Seattle area and is one of the smoother roads. Today I did the same patch again, and the DB meter on my phone registered average 83.9db.

What is your experience? Is this db level normal, or should I talk to the SC about this?

Thanks!

20180121_221830.jpg
Hi All,
I finally started doing longer trips in Model X.
Yesterday, we noticed that the interior noise level was pretty high. My wife was sitting right behind me but we couldn't hear each other well. The noise seems to be much more than other cars we have had and getting to an uncomfortable point.
The highway is in the Seattle area and is one of the smoother roads. Today I did the same patch again, and the DB meter on my phone registered average 83.9db.What is your experience? Is this db level normal, or should I talk to the SC about this?Thanks!
I have had this issue...you will find many posts on it if you search for "WIND NOISE".
The SC padded and sealed my windows and news seals have been ordered to be replaced.
Not hearing your wife from the seat behind calls for a SC visit.

If a SC visit doesn't fix it, you could research aftermarket sound deadening solutions:
I wonder why Tesla can't get it right the first time right off the manufacturing line ...
Tesla considers its cars very quiet and thus do not require further deadening.

From Tesla:
Custom audio system specifically tuned for a Tesla's ultra-quiet cabin; XM satellite radio capability when paired with ...

Tesla considers its cars very quiet and thus do not require further deadening.

From Tesla:
Custom audio system specifically tuned for a Tesla's ultra-quiet cabin; XM satellite radio capability when paired with ...
Well they could be wrong.

I just checked that it’s unsafe to be exposed regularly to 85+ dB. Many other family cars are around 68.

I have complained about highway noise since day 1, and there is nothing to fix. This is the way the car is. Seals, windows will not fix it. There is no insulation. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If for some reason they do fix it, and its like a miracle please let us know how they did it!! I want mine fixed to!

Seals, windows will not fix it.
Big improvement in my early build car with some gasket work by the SC.
There is no insulation.
I just looked underneath the plastic cover and carpeting around the driver wheel well and pedals and found most metal surfaces are covered with a thick dense insulating material and there is additional cushion on the floor of the wheel well. Maybe not state of the art, but it’s not nothing.

I have complained about highway noise since day 1, and there is nothing to fix. This is the way the car is. Seals, windows will not fix it. There is no insulation. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If for some reason they do fix it, and its like a miracle please let us know how they did it!! I want mine fixed to!
This is sad. Having used luxury cars for a long time you take a few things for granted. One of those would be not having deafening level of noise in the car.

Hope they can fix it. I have resigned to the fact that Model X will be our urban car and we will get another car for long trips.

I feel your pain! Wind noise was fixed by realignment of the small front windows that were clearly not in the right position. This ended a "woofing" sound at highway speeds when there was also a moderate or greater cross wind. However, the general highway noise is far too high compared to the rest features/price of the vehicle imo. I'm in a Sept 2016 MX, fyi. The Dallas SC says there is nothing to be done. I don't believe that is the case, but, I haven't found a way to fix it yet. I've seen videos on line of people installing sound dampening materials in other vehicle such as Dynamat. It works on other cars. However, I've seen at least one person in a Tesla forum say that the weight of it can cause issues with the doors opening/closing correctly, so I've been a chicken on installing Dynamat. I'm hoping someone offers a good solution to you, and all of us!

I feel your pain! Wind noise was fixed by realignment of the small front windows that were clearly not in the right position. This ended a "woofing" sound at highway speeds when there was also a moderate or greater cross wind. However, the general highway noise is far too high compared to the rest features/price of the vehicle imo. I'm in a Sept 2016 MX, fyi. The Dallas SC says there is nothing to be done. I don't believe that is the case, but, I haven't found a way to fix it yet. I've seen videos on line of people installing sound dampening materials in other vehicle such as Dynamat. It works on other cars. However, I've seen at least one person in a Tesla forum say that the weight of it can cause issues with the doors opening/closing correctly, so I've been a chicken on installing Dynamat. I'm hoping someone offers a good solution to you, and all of us!

Yes my SC told me they had one person who used Dynamat and it messed up their doors because the weight was too heavy. They adamantly did not recommend it. So I was like ok.. just suffer the noise I guess. My Tahoe 2015 is quieter then my X.

Reactions: Xcelerator
I'm curious what changing out just the door seals would do. I can't tell if the sound is coming through the doors, through the door seals, through the glass and to be sure it is all of them, but, is one of them substantial? If someone has changed out just the door seals, I'd love to hear what that did for you.

I'm curious what changing out just the door seals would do. I can't tell if the sound is coming through the doors, through the door seals, through the glass and to be sure it is all of them, but, is one of them substantial? If someone has changed out just the door seals, I'd love to hear what that did for you.
They probably had defective seals to begin with. It was a known issue on early builds.

My X I think was made in Fall 2016 and delivered to me Dec 30 at like 10 pm at my house (that was an amazing experience).. so I think its a fairly newer build with Ap2. Im pretty sure its got the newest seals and it doesn't do diddly squat for noise. Its noisy as crap on the highway. Local driving is good.

• Helpful
Reactions: Xcelerator