Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent AutoPilot and Sensor Availability - Known software defect (2019.12.1.2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GolanB

Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2018
NYC
I have been running version 2019.12.1.2 for approximately two weeks. This update has not yet corrected an earlier issue I was experiencing with AP/AS disengaging suddenly while driving through the Holland Tunnel, but a new problem has surfaced which I only began experiencing within the last 24 hours.

Here are the symptoms:

- Data Collection via API fails (drive states, speed, consumption, charge information). As an example, my TeslaFi still believes my car is parked at home and sleeping, even though I drove for over an hour today out of state.

- Lane markings do not appear on-screen.

- Visualization of vehicles in the immediate area are not present.

- AutoPilot/AutoSteering/TACC, Early Collision Warnings, Blind Spot Notifications are all not functioning.

What is still working: As best as I can tell, nearly everything else is working normally - Cameras are still streaming video, and proximity sensors are functioning.

I opened up a case with Tesla, and they took about 30 minutes to diagnose the issue remotely. It was escalated to the advanced team, and I got a call back a few minutes later from support stating that this is a "known issue" and that they are working towards a fix in a future software update. They did not provide me with any further actions to take, and they did not offer a timeline.

I can live without AP/AS/TACC, but I'm concerned that forward collision warnings are also not functioning - its something I get plenty of use of.

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 11.02.48 AM.png

(TeslaFi: Invalid / Missing data from Tesla during commute this morning). I expected there to be drive information between 9:15 and 10:15 AM, but the car was registered as Offline from the moment I disconnected the charging cable.

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 11.12.09 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: JFChenger
I have been running version 2019.12.1.2 for approximately two weeks. This update has not yet corrected an earlier issue I was experiencing with AP/AS disengaging suddenly while driving through the Holland Tunnel, but a new problem has surfaced which I only began experiencing within the last 24 hours.

Here are the symptoms:

- Data Collection via API fails (drive states, speed, consumption, charge information). As an example, my TeslaFi still believes my car is parked at home and sleeping, even though I drove for over an hour today out of state.

- Lane markings do not appear on-screen.

- Visualization of vehicles in the immediate area are not present.

- AutoPilot/AutoSteering/TACC, Early Collision Warnings, Blind Spot Notifications are all not functioning.

What is still working: As best as I can tell, nearly everything else is working normally - Cameras are still streaming video, and proximity sensors are functioning.

I opened up a case with Tesla, and they took about 30 minutes to diagnose the issue remotely. It was escalated to the advanced team, and I got a call back a few minutes later from support stating that this is a "known issue" and that they are working towards a fix in a future software update. They did not provide me with any further actions to take, and they did not offer a timeline.

I can live without AP/AS/TACC, but I'm concerned that forward collision warnings are also not functioning - its something I get plenty of use of.

View attachment 407949

(TeslaFi: Invalid / Missing data from Tesla during commute this morning). I expected there to be drive information between 9:15 and 10:15 AM, but the car was registered as Offline from the moment I disconnected the charging cable.

View attachment 407957

Does your backup camera work?

Does your backup camera work?

Backup Camera Works (I noted that the Cameras are streaming video normally). Last night, however, before I parked for the evening, the backup camera took about 7 seconds to display. Today it came on immediately. I did not test my auto wipers today, as it is not raining, but would be surprised if they engaged given the other problems I've encountered.

Backup Camera Works (I noted that the Cameras are streaming video normally). Last night, however, before I parked for the evening, the backup camera took about 7 seconds to display. Today it came on immediately. I did not test my auto wipers today, as it is not raining, but would be surprised if they engaged given the other problems I've encountered.

That's why I asked specifically about your backup camera, as your post said cameras were working fine. My backup camera is dead and USB recordings are basically empty. Assuming its a slightly different failure state of the APE, but same effect.

Do you know if you are on AP2.5 or HW3. Just picked mine up last week, and have physically confirmed its HW3.

That's why I asked specifically about your backup camera, as your post said cameras were working fine. My backup camera is dead and USB recordings are basically empty. Assuming its a slightly different failure state of the APE, but same effect.

Do you know if you are on AP2.5 or HW3. Just picked mine up last week, and have physically confirmed its HW3.

Not on HW3. I've owned the car since October of 2018, and the API data all reflect 2.5 hardware. Its really hard to know what is going on, other than to look at the symptoms and try to draw conclusions.

Have you considered rooting your Model 3? I'm very interested in looking at the debug logs, but I haven't sunk my teeth into this yet.

Not on HW3. I've owned the car since October of 2018, and the API data all reflect 2.5 hardware. Its really hard to know what is going on, other than to look at the symptoms and try to draw conclusions.

Have you considered rooting your Model 3? I'm very interested in looking at the debug logs, but I haven't sunk my teeth into this yet.

The security on the Model 3 is incredibly improved compared to MCUv1 on the S/X. It will likely be some time before I am able to obtain root again. Additionally the ethernet on the 3 is a 2 wire automotive variant that requires special hardware.

The security on the Model 3 is incredibly improved compared to MCUv1 on the S/X. It will likely be some time before I am able to obtain root again. Additionally the ethernet on the 3 is a 2 wire automotive variant that requires special hardware.

I am not suprised by this. Short of pulling the chips from the board and rewriting the flash, finding a JTAG inteface, etc. its probably easier to find a software vulnerability through the chromium browser or infotainment system.

What were your plans via wired ethernet? Why not just use wireless?

I’ve seen occasional messages about AP/cruise and/or blind spot detection being unavailable briefly when first putting the car in driver lately. However, I assumed this was due to the large amount of pollen that’s been falling onto the car lately, and the messages seem to go away quickly (sometimes after using the windshield washer) and everything seems to be working normally enough. I did go rinse off the car at one point soon after the messages first appeared.

Still unclear if this is a software bug or things working more or less as designed given the circumstances.