Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent loss of USB stick icon and playback/security until reboot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm here because I too am experiencing the USB intermittent connection issue. Seems to happen primarily at home. Soft reboot fixes the issue for a drive maybe 2. At the Tesla service center they could not reproduce the issue.
I scheduled another service appointment, since I didn't fully understand the problem the first two times I took it in. In response to my service request, which explained the situation in detail, Tesla responded that they "have confirmed your vehicle is currently affected by the firmware. Our engineers are working to correct this issue.... At this time there is no further action we will be able to perform."

It looks like if you toggle the sentry mode ON and wait for a few seconds and then toggle it back OFF using the Tesla app it fixes the issue without a reboot. Can someone else verify that this works for them? Thx.
I just tried it and it worked. As with any intermittent issue, will have to try for a few more days but looks promising. Thank you! I was thinking I was going to have to pay for tunein premium. FYI, I have tried a backup USB drive with my music and has same issue so not a flaky drive.

It looks like if you toggle the sentry mode ON and wait for a few seconds and then toggle it back OFF using the Tesla app it fixes the issue without a reboot. Can someone else verify that this works for them? Thx.
I have the exact same problem. I just tried your on/off Tesla app sentry mode and I worked, thank you.
I have a service request in for next month for this exact issue so how would I explain it to them?

2020 Model 3 owner here, I've had 4 service visits (2 mobile, 2 service center) for this issue since May with no resolution. In California that makes me eligible for arbitration which I've pursued. My hearing is scheduled for early July. Tesla has replaced the USB hub twice and the wiring harness between the hub and car computer once. During the 3rd service, the SC Manager assured me the issue should be resolved in a "2024.12+" software update. I've rec'd three updates since then with no resolution. The wake from sleep via door opening (i.e. vs. app) in an interesting theory, I'm testing that out now. My vehicle was made around Sept 2020, curious when other affected cars were manufactured, is this issue limited to a set of vehicles made in a specific time period?

Reactions: lachambers
2020 Model 3 owner here, I've had 4 service visits (2 mobile, 2 service center) for this issue since May with no resolution. In California that makes me eligible for arbitration which I've pursued. My hearing is scheduled for early July. Tesla has replaced the USB hub twice and the wiring harness between the hub and car computer once. During the 3rd service, the SC Manager assured me the issue should be resolved in a "2024.12+" software update. I've rec'd three updates since then with no resolution. The wake from sleep via door opening (i.e. vs. app) in an interesting theory, I'm testing that out now. My vehicle was made around Sept 2020, curious when other affected cars were manufactured, is this issue limited to a set of vehicles made in a specific time period?
Mine is a June 2020 manufacturer date.

Replacing hardware is not the answer. What part of "this is a software issue" don't you all understand?
It was caused by an update that wasn't vetted or even tested before implementation (as always), and won't be fixed until they make it a priority to fix . This is one of the real downsides to owning a Tesla. You are subject to the frustrations of half-baked software updates. Everyone single one is 1 step forward, and 2 back.

Replacing hardware is not the answer. What part of "this is a software issue" don't you all understand?
It was caused by an update that wasn't vetted or even tested before implementation (as always), and won't be fixed until they make it a priority to fix . This is one of the real downsides to owning a Tesla. You are subject to the frustrations of half-baked software updates. Everyone single one is 1 step forward, and 2 back.
How do you think I can talk to the SC and explain they need to fix the software. Do you think I can request a investigation? I'm lost how to proceed?

How do you know that Tesla is well aware of this issue?
My friend is a Tesla tech.
It's a constant complaint

And remember... You don't have to use sentry mode. You can let the car sleep. Just wake it up ANY other way than opening the door. I just turn on the climate control from the app as I'm approaching the car. Works like a charm. It doesn't hold your place, on the last song you were playing, but the car recognizes the USB.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricAnt54

And remember... You don't have to use sentry mode. You can let the car sleep. Just wake it up ANY other way than opening the door. I just turn on the climate control from the app as I'm approaching the car. Works like a charm. It doesn't hold your place, on the last song you were playing, but the car recognizes the USB.
OK thanks for the information, much appreciated...

Yup

The trick of waking the car via mobile app to make car detect center usb ports for data operations works for me too. I made an iPhone shortcut automation to make the mobile app flash my car lights every morning about 10 minutes before the time I usually get in my car.

Another workaround which doesn’t need you to use the tesla mobile app for people with usb-a in glovebox, get one of the below type of products. Make sure the port for dashcam is blue (usb3 speed). I plug my usb-c stick in to one of these.
Glove Box USB Hub for Model 3 Y, Multi Port Glove Box Hub Multiport Car Docking Station Replacement for Tesla Model 3 Y Amazon.com