Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent power steering loss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 5/2017 built Model X P100D has been experiencing intermittent power steering loss. It will get really tight mid-turn and can barely move and then snap back into power steering and it’s almost dangerous. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Tow truck on the way to take to the service center...

There are no warnings on the dashboard. This feeling of tight steering had been getting worse over the past couple of weeks. At one point I changed my setting out of Sport to comfort thinking they had just updated the software for steering feel and sport felt too heavy.

A71D44A4-FD15-4673-8B72-A4CF11BD897B.jpeg
Our 5/2017 built Model X P100D has been experiencing intermittent power steering loss. It will get really tight mid-turn and can barely move and then snap back into power steering and it’s almost dangerous. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Tow truck on the way to take to the service center...

There are no warnings on the dashboard. This feeling of tight steering had been getting worse over the past couple of weeks. At one point I changed my setting out of Sport to comfort thinking they had just updated the software for steering feel and sport felt too heavy.

Had the same issue was my lower steering shaft

Reactions: ChrML
Problem solved with same solution. Posting this here for others to find later if they have the same issue.
View attachment 457563
This is exactly what I've been experiencing the past week or so. I had an appointment yesterday for a brake inspection and when I arrived at the SC, I told the advisor about my power steering issues. They kept my car, gave me a loaner, and said they'd see me next week. I suspect, after reading your post, this will be my issue as well. Any other issues with your PS since you had this work done last year?