Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Internal Charger Loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this was most likely asked and answered but I can't find it....

When charging with the Mobile Charger (14-50, 10-30, ...) how much charging loss is there. I know that the car tells me how many kW that were added to the battery, but how much is wasted in heat, running the charger and the like.
(I have a M3 AWD 2019)

Thanks....

I know this was most likely asked and answered but I can't find it....

When charging with the Mobile Charger (14-50, 10-30, ...) how much charging loss is there. I know that the car tells me how many kW that were added to the battery, but how much is wasted in heat, running the charger and the like.
(I have a M3 AWD 2019)

Thanks....

It’s a Mobile Connector - the charger with the majority of the losses is located in the car. Mobile Connector has extremely low loss as it is just a glorified switch.

Yes it has been measured before.

Good data being gathered currently here by @darth_vad3r:

API charging data

Short answer is there is ~250-350W fixed overhead (TBD the number) and the chargers are about 95% efficient.

In the end this means about the best you can do (at high charge rates) is around 90% efficiency.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Mobile Connector has extremely low loss as it is just a glorified switch.

Short answer is there is ~250-350W fixed overhead (TBD the number) and the chargers are about 95% efficient.

In the end this means about the best you can do (at high charge rates) is around 90% efficiency.

Thanks for the help and sorry for mistyped Mobile Connector. A 5%-10% addition to what the car says to what the energy provider bills for is not that bad.

I will look at the thread you gave in more detail.

Thanks