Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory car order - adding FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have placed an order for an inventory MX which is 'in transit'. It did not have FSD and I wanted to add this. Before placing the order I called Tesla Manchester and asked about adding FSD. I was told:

1. This is not a problem. Once you have placed your order, email the request with the RN to DeliveryUK@ and they will add it.

I placed the order, emailed them and received the response:

2. FSD must be added at basket stage on a pre-order, otherwise you would have to wait for it’s unveiling to add it at a later date.

I emailed back that this contradicted what I had already been told and made no sense since if I had placed a new order through the basket process I would have most likely been matched to exactly the same car, which they would then configure with FSD. I have had no response to this.

Today I called Tesla Manchester and was told:

3. Wait until the car is delivered and handed over, then add FSD through either the app or the web account.

So.. three different, contradicting answers all from Tesla.

Which is correct?

Jonathan

Assuming you’re buying it yourself (not leased) you’ll be able to add FSD yourself through the app easily.

It’s possible they can do it but it would probably just complicate things unnecessarily at this point to spend too much energy sorting it prior to delivery.

It’s unfortunate you’ve been given conflicting advice.

Brill - thanks for the replies.

It is not a leased car so I will add on delivery.

Jonathan
If you plan to keep the car several years, I would wait six months or so. I added FSD to both of my Teslas during the FSD sale in April 2019 and saved many thousands of dollars.

While Musk swears the price will only increase I believe he will change his mind about existing cars when Tesla meets their “feature complete” promise, probably within six months or less. Existing cars are low hanging fruit for Tesla’s bottom line.

Musk was severely criticized for the April 2019 sale, mostly because the full price customers were still awaiting the delivery of feature complete FSD. He apologized and promised not to do it again, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that promise expires when FSD is feature complete.

Last edited:
As others have said add FSD once the car arrives.

I can’t see a fire sale happening while the share price is soaring and they have more capital than they know what to do with. I do think they might add a FSD subscription option and possibly a 6 month free trial to get you hooked.

I added FSD to my M3 using the app a couple of months after purchase and just before the £1k price increase. It appeared instantly in the car.

In its current state I don''t think it is worth having, but I intend to have my car a very long time and am hopeful that over the duration of my ownership it will prove to be a bargain. At the moment it's really only Navigate on Autopilot that is useful and it isn't great at lane changes anyway.