Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory or order new for best possible deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Sold my P85D a few years ago and then bought an MXP. That was just re-purchased by Tesla (dodged that bullet) in August. Told myself I was done with Tesla for now...at least until quality and service improved. That said, $90K for a new MSP with Ultra Red keeps "distracting" me.

What are the odds that even better deals will be had via inventory as the end of the quarter arrives? i.e. week of Christmas when things are already slow. From looking at inventory online, it's always seemed to me that ordering new was a way better deal than inventory which always seems to have the larger wheels, enhanced AP, and FSD. I'll never be interested in range sucking larger wheels or FSD. I'd love to get summon back which I had on my P85D but it's nowhere near worth $6K to me.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
1701110964330.png

It seems a number of folks are sitting on open orders with no VIN yet assigned, and at the same time inventory has shot up of low-mileage demo's. Therefore, my take is Tesla is holding new VINs in an effort to work off remaining 2023 inventory. So to my thinking the answer to your question is yes, there will be some better inventory deals in December week 1 or week 2, but finding exactly the spec you want might be difficult.

I don't think Tesla deals are really end of the year deals. They seem to give maybe $1000 off which is laughable. I would act on 10% discount at this point on 2023 models, but otherwise I am holding for 2024 model year.

What are the odds that even better deals will be had via inventory as the end of the quarter arrives? i.e. week of Christmas when things are already slow.

It's difficult to say but at the end of last year, Tesla offered $7,500 discounts and 10,000 free supercharging miles on models including the MS. However, that was before the SIGNIFICANT price reductions that occurred this year. The base price of a new MS Plaid is already $46k lower than it was at the beginning of the year.

Aside from the discounts that everyone gets, you won’t get additional discounts unless you take an inventory car (you won’t necessarily get them on those cars either). We recently ordered a Model Y, and ended up taken an inventory MYP that was discounted around $4500.

Currently, inventory cars aren't listing any less than a factory orders even with demo miles. My question is can the local dealership that has a vehicle, can they go lower in person or is it fixed like the traditional Tesla pricing model? There's one inventory car in SoCal with 0 miles that is exactly the factory order price. There are even some inventory cars with mileage that are the factory order price. Presumably Tesla is targeting these vehicles towards the instant gratification crowd or folks that need to be able to actually test drive the specific car they're looking to drive before committing which you can't do with a factory order.

Hopefully they're offer the 10K free supercharging as an end of year perk. That would probably be enough for me to pull the trigger at MSRP.

Currently, inventory cars aren't listing any less than a factory orders even with demo miles.

There are several MS Plaid new/demo inventory cars in California for less than factory order (full retail) prices, although discounts on Ultra Red cars may not be as good as some other colors. For example, there is an Ultra Red MS Plaid in San Diego with a $1,140 discount. Link below:

My question is can the local dealership that has a vehicle, can they go lower in person or is it fixed like the traditional Tesla pricing model?

Sales advisors don't typically negotiate prices. Tesla, however, does adjust prices over time so if a car you're interested in doesn't sell too quickly it may be lowered in price and a good sales advisor would contact you. They would also contact you about any limited-time incentives (such as free supercharging miles) that may be offered.

Also, not all Tesla inventory is posted online. A sales advisor would have access to additional available inventory.

Reactions: sorka
I don't see any inventory discounts for Models X and S in my area (200 miles radius). Very low inventory even, in general. Meanwhile plenty of inventory and inventory discounts for both model Y and model 3.