Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Investors Who Have Never Driven The Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never driven a Tesla before and don't need to in order to invest in the company. The reaction that people have after driving a Tesla is pretty universal. For someone like me, who does a lot of research, it is easy to see that investing in Tesla is a no brainer.

I finally got a chance to drive my first EV a couple of days ago in the Nissan Leaf, and even with the Leaf you can tell that the future is in EV's; no doubt.

exactly and you don't need to own everything you invest... information is free and knowledge when to get in and get out of stock makes lot $$$:wink:

Last edited:
I have driven in one, but refused to drive for reasons already stated in this thread.

Resisting the urge is hard enough without having sat in the drivers seat. It would only be harder to keep telling myself a little longer, a little longer, after a drive.

I refused to drive one until last week. However I have a solid price target set at which when we hit that target I will place my order. After the drive it is harder not to order one, however having the firm price makes it a little easier.

I've been fortunate enough to drive an 85 and a P85. I was already an investor prior to driving both, although I immediately doubled my position after driving the first one. A a result, there is not a single ICE I would consider buying.

I live in Australia and have never driven any Tesla cars. I first learned about Tesla Motors company by reading New York Times evaluation of model s and that got my attention so I researched the company and the car. I liked what I learned and have since invested in stock (bought in March, May, June and July). Some of the strengths of Tesla as I see them are: First mover, no unions, no dealership, ability to charge at home, environmental advantages, superior and innovative car design, and many more. I do not plan on buying model s as it is too large for my needs and I prefer smaller cars but I would like to buy Tesla ev of the right size when it is available in Australia.

I refused to drive one until last week. However I have a solid price target set at which when we hit that target I will place my order. After the drive it is harder not to order one, however having the firm price makes it a little easier.

My target price was hit after the Q1 earning. Even before the second day open in trading, I immediately converted my x reservation to a S order. Actually i still keep the x reservation. :)
And I used the finance option. That decision alone already made the S free, if not non-trivially more, using Elon's latest expression. :)

Last edited:
Almost bought one a few months ago. Decided to pay off my mortgage first by investing in TSLA. Hopefully, in a few years that will happen and will see whether MS or Gen III is more appealing at that point.

Guys, unless you have millions in the bank or other very large investments, buying a Tesla in cash is shooting yourself in the foot investment wise. Why give up $90K of capital that can double, triple, or even 10-bag from the levels where we are today. I'd pay the down payment and finance the rest as money is still cheap out there if you really want a Tesla and can afford the monthly payments.

I've taken a ride on the S. Three of my friends in my neighborhood have them. I'm invested big in TSLA (gone all the way with my cash savings but with the equivalent in real estate investment as a hedge, just in case. ;-)

Almost bought one a few months ago. Decided to pay off my mortgage first by investing in TSLA. Hopefully, in a few years that will happen and will see whether MS or Gen III is more appealing at that point.

I was so aggressive that I secretly use our equity line of credit on the mortgage to invest. Well got caught by wife and have to exit after just one week. :( you can image how furious i was. could've been an excellent move and get the line of credit for free.

I have never driven an S .... I live in Texas which makes it a little more difficult ... I know the law says no Test drives but I know they gave them out before that got a lot of coverage ... surely I can get one soon .... Although I agree with Citizen T It would probably be wise for me not to test drive one. Thanks To TSLA I could buy a Tesla but it would cost me to much on future earnings .... when my account crosses 7 figures i will put down a reservation on the X :)

I was so aggressive that I secretly use our equity line of credit on the mortgage to invest. Well got caught by wife and have to exit after just one week. :( you can image how furious i was. could've been an excellent move and get the line of credit for free.

LOL Kevin. Actually you know that most people who are super wealthy out there became wealthy because they gambled with borrowed money, never their own. Using equity from a investment property could be an option for the true believer who is willing to take larger risks...

I have never driven an S .... I live in Texas which makes it a little more difficult ... I know the law says no Test drives but I know they gave them out before that got a lot of coverage ... surely I can get one soon .... Although I agree with Citizen T It would probably be wise for me not to test drive one. Thanks To TSLA I could buy a Tesla but it would cost me to much on future earnings .... when my account crosses 7 figures i will put down a reservation on the X :)

Test drives in Texas need to be scheduled in advance. Call Austin or Houston and ask when the next opportunity is on the calendar. The Austin folks also manage occasional Dallas drive events, if you happen to live up here.

I highly recommend a Model S test drive to those who've invested in Tesla, if at all possible.

I bought my first shares last August w/o a test drive. Then, I test drove the car in November (after driving my fair shares of BMW, Mercedes, Porsche cars). Needless to say, I was super impressed. It confirmed in a personal way the advantage that Tesla has over it's competitors and gave me that extra confirmation/assurance to invest as much as realistically possible back then.

That is funny. I was seriously considering taking out a max $50k loan against my 401(k) and buying TSLA options prior to the earnings release. I couldn't figure out how to do this without my wife finding out, so I couldn't pull the trigger; unfortunately you pay off the loan with deductions from your paycheck and my wife would notice that, haha.

I have sat in a Model S at the Tesla store in the Natick MA mall (it is across from Victorias Secret. Well played Elon, well played. )
The store was packed, the info from staff was good and they were enthusiastic which was my check on how well the retail vs. dealer decision has worked.

I had been following and rooting for Tesla since the roadster but did not start investing heavily until this year. I now park next to a silver 85 at work so I'll schedule a test drive soon. I am used to serious acceleration and handling so I want to see how smoothly a P85 drives.

That is funny. I was seriously considering taking out a max $50k loan against my 401(k) and buying TSLA options prior to the earnings release. I couldn't figure out how to do this without my wife finding out, so I couldn't pull the trigger; unfortunately you pay off the loan with deductions from your paycheck and my wife would notice that, haha.

Ha speaking of 401k, I am very proud of what I did. After my brokerage account taking off with Tesla, I jump started my 401k with tsla since I have a self-directed account. It is so ironic the company I left did made me a millionaire on paper in the dot com but then took it away with the crash, even made me lose money because of the stupid amt, and now I make it all back by my self-directed investment/trading/speculation, again!! on paper though.

The great thing about the self direct account is all gain are tax deferred. So my trading decision will not be clouded by all the tax stuff. My most recent big trade is when tsla dive 20% to $108 in one day by the gs report. I went in pull off a few weekly options and aug @115 after earning which I still keep. Thanks GS!

I am certainly very opportunistic of using all available capital on tsla. I have to as this is the best opportunity I have ever come across in stock, and again easily the stock of the decade in my view.

Invested before back in sept of 11 at 22$. With all my reading became convinced of car to place a reservation in nov of 2011. Test drove at get amped and received my s this April. Meanwhile I have family who have invested in tsla with my recommendation and resultant gains they too have purchased an s with x on order. Unfortunately I have sold about 50% tsla for my s just prior to the major run up.

Stock is a 6.18 bagger already...easily on track for 10 and should be stock of the decade. Wild card Asia is pretty safe to assume will generate substantial additional demand very soon if not already.

I have stock in Tesla without driving one as well. I was originally going to buy stock when it was @ $50, but ended up not getting in til it was $120. I don't see it ever getting back down to $50 though, so its all good.