Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone app question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I've had my m3 less than a month and I love it but I have a question regarding the app on iPhone. I am a bit odd and like to close all my app as in swiping up (force close) and then I get a notification from Tesla app 'Keep the tesla app running for the best phone key experience' - I do not want to keep it running to be fair and I think the car goes into a deep sleep if I do not run the app. I could be wrong.

Anyway my question is should I keep the app running? Or can I force close it - or will that do something odd to my car.

Sorry lame questions but still getting to grips with this m3 :)

Thanks!!

I am a bit odd and like to close all my app as in swiping up (force close)

Pretty much anything you read on this topic will tell you that this is not something that needs to be done, like this post on the apple discussion forums:

As for the original question, if you dont use phone as key, and use keycard or a fob, and / or dont care if the phone key experience is slower / more flakey than it already is, you can swipe the app away. There is virtually no benefit to be gained from swiping apps away if they are not frozen, though... but I suspect you already know this, or you likely would not have qualified your actions as "odd".

Hi folks,

I've had my m3 less than a month and I love it but I have a question regarding the app on iPhone. I am a bit odd and like to close all my app as in swiping up (force close) and then I get a notification from Tesla app 'Keep the tesla app running for the best phone key experience' - I do not want to keep it running to be fair and I think the car goes into a deep sleep if I do not run the app. I could be wrong.

Anyway my question is should I keep the app running? Or can I force close it - or will that do something odd to my car.

Sorry lame questions but still getting to grips with this m3 :)

Thanks!!
I do this several times, just accidently by habit of closing unused apps.
I have not see any issue at all.

My suggestion, don't worry about it! =)

Cheers,
N

Reactions: benjamin1234
Please forgive me if I appear to be snarky. I've read many iPhone discussions because my wife gets frustrated with her iPhone 15 not unlocking the car. She's not a driver, but her iPhone is set up with a key. This happen with our 2023 MYLR and now with our 2024 MYLR. I guess my wife must be swiping the Tesla app on her iPhone as it unlocks only when she launches the app.

I use a Samsung S21 which is now over 3 years old. My battery last 2 days. I leave the Tesla app running, Bluetooth always on, and the Tesla app remains connected throughout 80% of my home (including my bedroom). The Tesla app only show 0.6 % battery usage. That's equivalent to about 11.5 minutes. I have many apps using more battery, such as, browsers, phone, text, Fitbit, etc.

Btw, can someone steal my car with the phone being connected? It seems to lock before I get to my doorway. Bluetooth seems to work better than my wifi on the 2024 MYLR. The car seems to not connect with my home wifi as well as my former 2023 MYLR.

Btw, can someone steal my car with the phone being connected? It seems to lock before I get to my doorway.
Yes, someone can steal the car if the phone key is within range. I accidentally left my phone in my car recently, and when I went back a few minutes later to retrieve it, I was able to open the door. You can use a driver PIN code if you’re worried about that.

Or just swipe it off-keeping app running does drain a tiny bit of power. Why do u need app running 24-7 while you are asleep ?. I wake up, launch app 5 minutes before I goto my car, never had a problem.
Good luck measuring that battery drain on your phone .. its in the noise floor, what with all the other things the phone is doing while you sleep (touching cell tower, BT beacons, WIFi reception checks, push notifications etc etc).