Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone functionality with Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last time I sat in a Tesla was August 2013, right after which we reserved our Model X.

One issue that disappointed me was the poor interoperability of my iPhone with the car's interface. Using a cable was pointless because the car could only play music from the iPhone via Bluetooth, and then it could only skip forward or back one track, not actually browse the content on the device. The cable was solely for charging the iPhone.

Since I see the Model X has an iPhone "holster" with a lightning connector, does that mean that the current version of the Tesla software allows one to bring up the iPhone on the main screen and browse albums, songs, artists, etc. as I can do in other cars when the cable is connected?

And does Model X allow one to use Siri? Perhaps "Siri Eyes Free" is implemented, or Apple Car Play? (or Android Auto?)

Thanks for your observations and answers!

I don't believe they have added ay iPhone functionality yet. There are many complaints about this. But you can use Hey Siri. I have the 6, so I need to have it plugged in to have it work. 6+ doesn't require this. When I say Hey Siri, there is a slight hesitation as the phone connects to the speakers and mic in the car. Then I can ask what I want and it will reply through the speakers. But that's about it. Plugging the phone in through USB does nothing but power the phone. So I plug mine into the 12v and use both USBs for music.

...I see the Model X has an iPhone "holster" with a lightning connector...
The holster connector is connected to the same two USB ports as used in Model S next to the 12 volt outlet.

Since the new Model X Signature doesn't have the AM radio band, I will check if there are any changes with the iPhone.

UPDATE: No change. The music or video app you use on the phone is the one that gets the prev/next/stop/play commands. No playlist will appear on the touchscreen. What does appear is the title and associated information of the song, station or video that is being played.

More slide-in guides or an adjustable one is needed to accommodate the various phones and cases for the front console holster. It can be a challenge to get the lighting connector to align properly.

Last edited:
The holster connector is connected to the same two USB ports as used in Model S next to the 12 volt outlet.

Since the new Model X Signature doesn't have the AM radio band, I will check if there are any changes with the iPhone.

UPDATE: No change. The music or video app you use on the phone is the one that gets the prev/next/stop/play commands. No playlist will appear on the touchscreen. What does appear is the title and associated information of the song, station or video that is being played.

More slide-in guides or an adjustable one is needed to accommodate the various phones and cases for the front console holster. It can be a challenge to get the lighting connector to align properly.

Without the guides it is indeed difficult to position the phone.

For what it is worth, an iPhone 6s in the Tesla leather wallet case fits the smaller side guides absolutly perfectly.

Tesla iPhone 6/6S Leather Wallet Case

The only phone app, other than the phone itself and contacts, I use is Audible for books. Basic audible functions can be operated using the flat screen.

Brave new world when you have to say one of the things I use my phone for is to actually make a phone call.

Someday when Tesla gets caught up with all the current software projects they may find time to create an app system like Apple. I can't even imagine what crazed Tesla people world wide will create if the door is opened. Tesla is missing out on an incredible base of free talent by controlling the apps so closely. But then running an App Store would take talent from higher priorities. Someday.