Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone not charging any more through front USB? Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All seems fine with the car and even the dash cam works in the other USB but the iPhone doesn't want to charge. It will say it is charging for about a second and then it doesn't charge any more.

I tried resetting the car to no avail.

Anyone else found a solution?

Reactions: fiatlux
My lightening cable developed a little burn mark (brown streak in the middle of the connecting pins). It still worked most of the time but I just switched it to a regular
Apple cable and it worked fine. Will see if Tesla replaces the cable on my next visit.

When I first plug my IPhone in it will show the green battery charging. When the phone goes back to sleep I will get a message saying the phone needs to be logged in to charge. I will log back in and the phone will start charging again and will continue to charge when it goes back to sleep.

Reactions: fiatlux
When you plug the iPhone into the front USB ports it is the same as plugging the iPhone into a computer.....the iPhone has to be unlocked in order to start a charge (unless you shut off this setting on the iPhone). If you plug the iPhone into the rear USB ports on M3 they are power only -no data, so the iPhone will charge no matter if it is locked or unlocked.

Reactions: jdcollins5
When you plug the iPhone into the front USB ports it is the same as plugging the iPhone into a computer.....the iPhone has to be unlocked in order to start a charge (unless you shut off this setting on the iPhone). If you plug the iPhone into the rear USB ports on M3 they are power only -no data, so the iPhone will charge no matter if it is locked or unlocked.
Exactly. It’s a security feature to prevent hacking through the Lightning port. To disable go to Settings- Face ID & Passcode then turn ON the USB Accessories option. Leaving it OFF is more secure.