Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Irregular charge percentage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery jumps to 73% after charging only to 70% even though it is it is set to charge only to 70%. Anyone worth similar experience? How do you fix this?

Yes, lots of people have similar experience, and there is nothing to fix. Electricity isnt a liquid or solid that is easy to measure, so ALL battery stuff is an estimate by the cars Battery management system (BMS) of capacity, etc based on multiple factors.

The car will do this sometimes, and there isnt anything you can do to change it.

This is another case of "my tesla gives me enough information to make me concerned, where my ICE car kept me in the dark"

Did you ever notice your gas gauge go up after you got gas? Probably not, but only because the gauge isn't very precise. If we assume for a moment you got 20 gallons of gas from an underground tank, delivered at 50F(10C), when that gas gets to your tank and hangs out a while at 90F(32C), its volume will increase by a rather surprising 0.4 gallons.

You can check it yourself, using 0.000950 as the β - volumetric temperature expansion coefficient on the following page: