Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Irresponsible reporting "Tesla Recalling Model S..."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... On a related note, has anyone seen Tesla directly (or indirectly via the press) commented on the 6-50 adapter yet?

I asked local service today about that and they did not have any info on the 6-50 or any of the other adapters. Any issue with the UMC/adapters themselves aside, I'd like to see a thermal fuse or "choke" added to all the adapters. It would be ideal if it was sophisticated enough to taper draw but keep charging, like the update does, but in actual relationship to the degree of overheating. a fuse that blows and then leaves you high and dry in the middle of nowhere sounds sub optimal to me. I've seen plenty of warn out receptacles over the years lead to melting and pitting of plugs, especially at camp grounds, it just makes a whole lot of sense to add this layer of safety so we all can sleep better at night, whether we are charging the car in the garage under our bedroom or next to the tent at the camp ground, i'd just like it to be something more like a GFCI switch that can be turned back on rather than a fuze.

...assuming that TM lets you keep the old adapter. If I were TM and doing a 'recall', I would want to get as many of the old adapters back as possible.
I've asked for the original parts back when my old 02 Nissan Maxima was recalled. The answer was no, Nissan wanted them all back.

I can see why... they wouldn't want any recalled parts floating around and being resold or installed on cars.

In the case of the above, it was just an accelerator pedal stopper. The recall involved being able to push the pedal in way so that you could pass the stopper, causing a check engine light and the car to going into limp mode. I personally hit this. Car lost power and basically wouldn't respond to accelerator inputs until you got below ~25 mph or so.

And generally, w/most major automakers, if the part's being replaced under warranty, you don't get to keep the bad part. If you're paying, they'll hand it over.