Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS Tax Credit - can you file for credits on two different Tesla cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was curious if anyone knows for sure or have experienced buying two Tesla's (I supposed it could be any two EV's) in the same year. And would you be able to get two $7500 credit towards your taxes (for a total of $15000)? Or is there a limit of one credit per taxpayer per year? Thanks.

So it would seem that there has to be enough federal tax liabilty to cover $15k for two cars. If both cars are registered under the wife's name and my name jointly, then I would assume that either can claim one or both? Would it be best to put both names on both cars or only one on each?

I live in CA and their state rebate has an income limit. I am not sure how this will play out with state lawmakers right now. Would this be independent so that if one person who has enough tax liabilty to claim both on IRS but now makes more than state limit, can the other person claim both cars for CA?

So it would seem that there has to be enough federal tax liabilty to cover $15k for two cars. If both cars are registered under the wife's name and my name jointly, then I would assume that either can claim one or both? Would it be best to put both names on both cars or only one on each?

I live in CA and their state rebate has an income limit. I am not sure how this will play out with state lawmakers right now. Would this be independent so that if one person who has enough tax liabilty to claim both on IRS but now makes more than state limit, can the other person claim both cars for CA?
Do you file jointly ?
But to go back to your OP, the answer was related to the Federal tax subsidy which does not have an income limit. At least I think not, but a CPA would have to chime in to be sure that AMT does not come into play.