Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone able to order Custom Plates in CA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get an unusual number of people in traffic taking a photo of the back of my car.
I’ve had that too. A few times on the freeway I’ve had people one lane over slow down to take a picture of my plate and actually hold up traffic temporarily. Mine skirts the DMV rules about what plates are allowed so I don’t post it online, but if anyone listens to Ryan McCaffrey’s podcast it was highlighted in one episode.

The coolest plate I’ve ever seen on a Tesla was just “OH” — for the next 5 minutes I couldn’t get away with saying something and thinking of the plate lol.

If you're getting "The Special Interest License Plate Internet Ordering System is currently unavailable." it's often because the personalized plate is already taken. The DMV site is terrible at error handling.

These are all the restricted combinations and you cannot have the number 69 (NICE!) unless your car is a 1969 model year.
Thanks for the response, I've looked at that page and tried a few different plates that should be okay given those rules. I get passed the screen you get when the plate is already taken, and after putting in payment information, the plate is removed from the shopping cart with the message:

In accordance with DMV policy, some items have been removed from the cart and will no longer be part of your transaction. Driver's License, Identification Card Renewal and Duplicate Driver's License items will be removed after 24 hours of inactivity. After 30 days of inactivity, all items in your cart will be removed. In order to return the item(s) to your shopping cart, you will need to re-add the item(s) by clicking on the "Continue Shopping" button below.

I've tried a few different plates with valid configurations according to that page (that get past the initial check for duplicates) and get the same issue. :/

Reactions: mr-dmitry
Does anyone know, if you previously had a personalized plate, but didn't renew it yet didn't transfer to new owner (often in CA plates go with the car), are you still able to re-claim it, or does that combination go back into the pool after a while?

In our case, the car was a trade-in to Tesla, they said we could keep the personalized plate if we wanted to use it on the new car. Before delivery, they said they would be able to register the new Tesla with the personalized plate; however, at delivery they couldn't because the car purchase was in my name, while the plate was in my wife's name.

But they let us take the plates, so we still have them. It's been a few years, but I can't go to DMV to inquire by myself, and my wife just hasn't found the time for us to go together.

EDIT: And oh, come to think of it, I had a set of personalized plates as well, but that car got totaled. Same question regarding those, except I never got to take the personalized plates off the car.