Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone else mad?? How to get Tesla to listen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is if they turned on AP for free to you, then I would suddenly want the $$ refunded that I paid for AP (total of $8k, BTW). Tesla doesn’t want to have to refund everyone who bought EAP $2k or whatever the Basic AP costs, so they aren’t going to do that.

You really missed out on the fire sale they had in March that let you buy both packages for way cheaper than I did. Talk about punishing early adopters, that one really stung.

Good point.

I just read that the Acura NSX just lowered their list price by $20,000 to stimulate sales.

Tesla has a published policy for continuous improvement. The is reflected in their cars getting constantly better, and better values as well.

It seems that no matter when you buy your Tesla, later customers will get additional features, many at no costs. Pricing also constantly gets adjusted due to Tesla costs, competition, etc.

Biggest issue seemed to be that when the Federal Tax credits got reduced, Tesla has tended to also reduce their pricing to compensate, so net pricing has remained relatively consistent.

First off, I love my M3dm, best car I’ve ever owned. We gave a deposit within 24hrs of the unveiling of the M3, waited 2+ yrs for it. We financially reached for the dual motor as we were originally planning on buying the standard M3 but at the time it looked like it was going to be an even longer wait and the dual motor just became available that June.

We paid Tesla 54k , no autopilot, black, this is the peak retail of what customers paid for a M3dm to Tesla. Today every M3 is sold w/autopilot standard (except supposedly the standard) for safety reasons and for less. And yet the early adopters of the M3 have not received an update activating the new version of Autopilot to the early M3 owners.

I’m mad in the fact this group is being overlooked/ignored by Tesla. We gave deposits on good faith, helped Tesla get these cars into production. I tried to call my advisor in Las Vegas and couldn’t get through. Relayed my frustration to my local dealer in Dedham MA. I was told the message would be relayed to the general manager. I have yet to receive a follow up call.

Am I wrong? Do other owners feel the same way? Sorry for the long post.
I understand where you are, I’m in the same boat you are in.

This is basic supply and demand. We purchased when demand was high and supply was low...and we paid.

I don’t think Tesla owes us anything. However, not a month has gone by where they haven’t given me features I didn’t pay for.

Take this analogy with a grain of salt, but people literally wait in lines to buy the latest iPhone release. Those things retail for around $1,200 or more now brand new.

That same device 1 year later can be purchased for a fraction of the cost around $500-$600 for a "new user/customer"... and those same early adopter existing customers similarly get the short end of the stick.
That same device 2 years later can be purchased for even less obviously. Hell, that $1,2000 device probably sells for $300 on eBay and Craigslist aftermarket.

Point is, being an early adopter comes at a cost. You get to be among the first to have & experience this new piece of advanced technology and show it off to all your friends and strangers turning their heads as you drive by.

Reactions: posity
First off, I love my M3dm, best car I’ve ever owned. We gave a deposit within 24hrs of the unveiling of the M3, waited 2+ yrs for it. We financially reached for the dual motor as we were originally planning on buying the standard M3 but at the time it looked like it was going to be an even longer wait and the dual motor just became available that June.

We paid Tesla 54k , no autopilot, black, this is the peak retail of what customers paid for a M3dm to Tesla. Today every M3 is sold w/autopilot standard (except supposedly the standard) for safety reasons and for less. And yet the early adopters of the M3 have not received an update activating the new version of Autopilot to the early M3 owners.

I’m mad in the fact this group is being overlooked/ignored by Tesla. We gave deposits on good faith, helped Tesla get these cars into production. I tried to call my advisor in Las Vegas and couldn’t get through. Relayed my frustration to my local dealer in Dedham MA. I was told the message would be relayed to the general manager. I have yet to receive a follow up call.

Just to make sure I understand what you are frustrated about...

You bought the car last year sometime, and now it comes with more features (for less than you paid), and you are mad that they are not giving you those features for free?

When you purchased your last non tesla car, and the newer versions of those cars came out with more features standard, did you go back to that manufacturer and ask to get those features free? Probably not.

The issue here is, people think "because its software, its easy for them to give it to me" or some other justification. In what world do people get retroactive features just because others got it cheaper later?

• Love
Reactions: posity and P85_DA
If you thank about it, it’s like everything else. Say a credit card provider, like chase, has some new incentive nor ‘New Members’ only, while a customer in great standing for the past 15 years gets nothing. They won’t honor crap nor give you squat.

Take Dish, DTV, Amazon Prime, you name it....no real incentives once your sign up.

Same here. This helps me as I tell myself I was an early adopter.

Tesla is a corporation not a charity lol. It doesn’t matter if you are first in line to put a deposit. It doesn’t matter that you believe in their mission or think Elon is a genius. They’re out to make money and keep their shareholders happy. Sorry but they are like any corporation that cuts employees to increase profit; that will cut someone who is working with them for 25 yrs as middle management or lower level employee. They don’t owe anyone anything, and they won’t give anything for free on a mass scale. No loyalty here people, it’s capitalism.

Shoot I think I’ve spent close to 30k in apple products man and they treat me like any schmoe that walks in on the street. It is what it is.
Similarly, I’ve had State Farm for at least years, do they care, nope they raise my premium after my first accident in 17 yrs!

Now is this a value or behavior our society needs? I personally don’t live my life that way, I actually help people for a living, but I don’t expect anyone to follow my example.

Last edited:
Reactions: posity and P85_DA
Tesla always touts their philosophy “safety first”. They state Autopilot makes the cars safer and that is the reason it’s standard. If that is the case then All Tesla’s should receive the update.

I believe a safety feature that is now standard to be retroactively given to previous models.

This would be like Tesla initially offering antilock brakes as an up charge, software locked. Then realizing that this is a great safety feature making it standard but leaving out the early buyers.
Tesla is adding the safety parts of autopilot standard to every model 3. Emergency lane departure avoidance and automatic emergency braking should make the car as safe as autopilot. Personally I think they probably make it safer than autopilot.

• Disagree
Reactions: duanra and Scott7
AP is not free. On SR+ it became included after $2000 price increase.

Early adopters got $7500 tax credit.
SR+ buyers got $3750.
$7500-$3000(AP) is still $4500.
OP should just buy AP now for $3000.
Or keep waiting with me for a sale.

Wait until the Tesla model 3 that's dumping out from Chinese Gigafactory then we can all rant together. I will join into this group in 3, 2, 1....
china tesla.JPG

Why? What happens to someone else’s vehicle has zero bearing on yours or what you paid for it. I don’t understand this fascination worrying about other people’s stuff.

Eh, it’s a fact of life for some people. If Tesla gives something for free to some but not others, then the people who paid will probably want their money back too. The $5k refund for the P+ was exactly that phenomenon. So my point to the poster who wanted AP for free was that would set off a storm for others who did pay based on what happened with the P models.

And, yes, I am salty about having paid $3k for FSD in 2017 that hasn’t had a single feature release, then watching Tesla lower the price for others later. Tesla still hasn’t delivered anything yet after over a year and I can’t get a refund either. Not sure what other industry you could order something, not have it delivered for over a year AND not be able to get a refund if you decide it has been too long. But, hey, to each his own if you would be satisfied with that situation I suppose.

Oops, you missed the window for then smokin' deal where you could buy EAP+FSD for only $5K? (Best pricing ever to get FSD I believe). Or you just didn't have the cash at the time?

They do now bundle AP into the price of the car now but it isn't "free", it is more a required purchase that works out to somewhere between $1500 and $2000 IIRC? I think that's what it worked out to when the bundling change occurred? It would be nice for Tesla to offer that option backwards for those that didn't purchase EAP, although I don't know what the market size for it would be? Is that something that you'd buy?

Last edited: