Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is autopilot taxed in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just found out that the $6000 autopilot gets taxed. It’s kind of a bummer I thought it be something that doesn’t get taxed.

Like buying a digital download game from the Xbox store, you don’t get taxed. I thought autopilot was similar to buying a digital file like a movie on iTunes thus would not be taxed.

Plus why do we need to pay $6000 for something that is similar to buying a digital movie? Because all it does is download to the car, there are no physical properties all the equipment came with the car. I feel it’s more like paying for a license to use it like the same rights you have to view an iTunes movie for personal use.

I know there is a free version but is it worth saving $6000 to have less? How can one justify paying $6000 just to have the added benefit to just lane change?

I just found out that the $6000 autopilot gets taxed. It’s kind of a bummer I thought it be something that doesn’t get taxed.

Like buying a digital download game from the Xbox store, you don’t get taxed. I thought autopilot was similar to buying a digital file like a movie on iTunes thus would not be taxed.

Plus why do we need to pay $6000 for something that is similar to buying a digital movie? Because all it does is download to the car, there are no physical properties all the equipment came with the car. I feel it’s more like paying for a license to use it like the same rights you have to view an iTunes movie for personal use.

I know there is a free version but is it worth saving $6000 to have less? How can one justify paying $6000 just to have the added benefit to just lane change?
you mean Enhanced AP... I dont remember paying tax for AB

It's the law of supply and demand. As long as people are willing to pay, its price keeps increasing.
Seems Tesla only lowers prices if they have to. I locked in the $56.9k base price for MY_Performance the day the government announced the new $80k price limit thus qualifying any variety of Model Y and letting me get the performance with tax credit.

I think $6000 can be justified for autopilot because it's cheaper than having a private driver or UBER, and I feel autopilot is like having your own driver. Autopilot allows me to drive long distance on a whim, I don't need to try drink a bunch of Monster energy drinks if I got autopilot and have to drive tired at 3am. I was just not aware that Tesla came with a free version of autopilot. And maybe autopilot could save much more money by avoiding an accident that could exceed $6000 in damages.

I bought the Tesla Model 3 in 2018 and added enhanced autopilot, I was just assuming it meant that if you didn't add it, you get no free version of autopilot. I'm not sure what the case was back then, is the free included autopilot something recent or has it always been there since Dec 2018?

Take your pick. Tesla can argue it's taxable or exempt.

Yeah I had no idea how software could be taxed. Most situations digital content isn't taxed when referring to iTunes, Steam, Xbox store.

I verified with the Tesla store employees and they said it will get taxed regardless if I include it in the car or get it later. I doubt an employee will be able to do anything so I just had to accept it, I just wanted to be sure it was the case and see if there were any hacks I could do.

Photoshop wasn't taxed at Best Buy even though I bought the physical box copy.

Also certain CA subway sandwiches are tax free and some are taxed. Like anything grilled or hot is usually taxed and the cold stuff is not taxed.

Most supermarket is not taxed. But soda and beer I think are taxed, plus they got that annoying CRV. But I will eventually have a Model Y so I'll try buy as much water as I can fit into the Model Y when I visit Las Vegas.

I'd really like to know if a CA resident can buy a Model Y performance & register in Oregon and get a $5000 tax savings & $7500 tax credit. The tax I believe for my Model Y Performance configuration with autopilot is $5000 at 7.75%. I found out Oregon had no taxes when I went to a Taco Bell and my order was like $2.00, not $2.16. Felt good just giving $2 and not counting change.

Last edited:
Also certain CA subway sandwiches are tax free and some are taxed. Like anything grilled or hot is usually taxed and the cold stuff is not taxed.

Most supermarket is not taxed. But soda and beer I think are taxed, plus they got that annoying CRV. But I will eventually have a Model Y so I'll try buy as much water as I can fit into the Model Y when I visit Las Vegas.

I'd really like to know if a CA resident can buy a Model Y performance & register in Oregon and get a $5000 tax savings & $7500 tax credit. The tax I believe for my Model Y Performance configuration with autopilot is $5000 at 7.75%. I found out Oregon had no taxes when I went to a Taco Bell and my order was like $2.00, not $2.16. Felt good just giving $2 and not counting change.
If you legally live there at least 6 months of the year

Seems Tesla only lowers prices if they have to. I locked in the $56.9k base price for MY_Performance the day the government announced the new $80k price limit thus qualifying any variety of Model Y and letting me get the performance with tax credit.

I think $6000 can be justified for autopilot because it's cheaper than having a private driver or UBER, and I feel autopilot is like having your own driver. Autopilot allows me to drive long distance on a whim, I don't need to try drink a bunch of Monster energy drinks if I got autopilot and have to drive tired at 3am. I was just not aware that Tesla came with a free version of autopilot. And maybe autopilot could save much more money by avoiding an accident that could exceed $6000 in damages.

I bought the Tesla Model 3 in 2018 and added enhanced autopilot, I was just assuming it meant that if you didn't add it, you get no free version of autopilot. I'm not sure what the case was back then, is the free included autopilot something recent or has it always been there since Dec 2018?
Dude. Dont drive tired where you are at risk of falling asleep at the wheel. Its just as bad as driving drunk and AP wll not save you or others if you fall asleep.

Dude. Dont drive tired where you are at risk of falling asleep at the wheel. Its just as bad as driving drunk and AP wll not save you or others if you fall asleep.
Well I'm stating because of autopilot it prevents me from sleeping at the wheel. So I can stay awake and just ensure the car is driving correctly. My friend stated if he were to drive from SoCal to Phoenix AZ at night in his Toyota Corolla he said he chug a bunch of monsters.

For my arcade thing where I may commute 1hr each way to hit up 2-3 arcades, having autopilot is useful. Especially after 8pm when freeways are empty so I never need to worry if I'm too tired to drive.