Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is ford lightening a winner for ford?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To answer your question, yes, the Lighting will indeed be a winner for Ford.

That article states that to get power out of the F-150, you'd need a separate home inverter. I don't know if that is correct, however. I know that the F-150 can output up to 17.2 kW AC power based on their spec sheets, and they have 240V AC output receptacles as well. This means the Lightning has its own high powered inverter. I think the journalist got confused (I know, shocking), and he misunderstood what Zhang was saying. For V2H, you will need some sort of intelligent auto transfer switch installed. But it won't need inverter functionality.

I think they will sell quite a few to people who drive pickups but dont “use” them.

I don’t think they are going to be suitable for work trucks and the range isn’t super good from what I’ve seen. They aren’t bad, look like a regular truck, and certainly Ford loyalty will sell a few.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electroman and KJD
I think they will sell quite a few to people who drive pickups but dont “use” them.

I don’t think they are going to be suitable for work trucks and the range isn’t super good from what I’ve seen. They aren’t bad, look like a regular truck, and certainly Ford loyalty will sell a few.
lol...like the cybertruck will be as well....

Can they produce them at volume and make money on them?
Will they be reliable?

They've had massive issues with the mach-e and they dont look to be improving, they suck at software etc. So I have my doubts.

That’s my thought. They will be an option but not a game changer. They will be an option for an ICE truck with an EV power plant. The lightning isn’t a paradigm shift for Ford and or how we think of pickups.

This will be good as an option but didn’t really push Ford to push the envelope like Tesla.

The lighting will do more to push Tesla to make a better cybertruck which would outsell the lighting 2 to 1 if they could make enough IMHO.

Define "work truck." Contractors typically don't drive huge distances as they tend to serve their local area. Even in an Iowa winter the Lightning will have 150 miles of range, every day. Now a farmer trying to haul livestock hundreds of miles in the winter? No, it won't work. But neither will a CT (I do not believe you will be able to haul a 5th wheel with a CT).

CT is a cartoon truck and will not be used by contractors and farmers (except for the ones that currently drive Cowboy Cadillacs). The high bed sides make it unsuitable for toolboxes and getting things in and out of the sides. Further, there are a ton of aftermarket things that go in truck beds. None of those will work in a CT. They will have to be redesigned and I guarantee that the CT version will be way more expensive than the regular version.

All that to say, there will be a market for both. Most trucks around here are the aforementioned Cowboy Cadillacs and/or family hauler/commuter vehicles. CT will be great for that mission - great range at a great price (assuming Tesla can hold to what they've published before). More traditional folks will be able to go w/ Lightning. All of their existing accessories will work plus Ford knows what truck people want/use. Tesla has a steep learning curve here.

Define "work truck." Contractors typically don't drive huge distances as they tend to serve their local area. Even in an Iowa winter the Lightning will have 150 miles of range, every day. Now a farmer trying to haul livestock hundreds of miles in the winter? No, it won't work. But neither will a CT (I do not believe you will be able to haul a 5th wheel with a CT).

CT is a cartoon truck and will not be used by contractors and farmers (except for the ones that currently drive Cowboy Cadillacs). The high bed sides make it unsuitable for toolboxes and getting things in and out of the sides. Further, there are a ton of aftermarket things that go in truck beds. None of those will work in a CT. They will have to be redesigned and I guarantee that the CT version will be way more expensive than the regular version.

All that to say, there will be a market for both. Most trucks around here are the aforementioned Cowboy Cadillacs and/or family hauler/commuter vehicles. CT will be great for that mission - great range at a great price (assuming Tesla can hold to what they've published before). More traditional folks will be able to go w/ Lightning. All of their existing accessories will work plus Ford knows what truck people want/use. Tesla has a steep learning curve here.
Good analysis👍

I've worked in commercial, residential, and site construction for 20 plus years in multiple markets. I think a bigger issue is that a lot of people who use work trucks for actual work don't live in places where they can be recharged overnight.

If, however, you maintain a fleet of, say, landscaping vehicles, where those vehicles are returned to a shop every night, and your foremen and workers come in every day? This thing is a HUGE no brainer. But a lot of times those foremen or crew leads take those trucks home every night with them, and many of them often live in apartments and condos.

But man, if I'm a framing contractor and I can give my guys one of these that gets charged every night, and I don't have to constantly buy them gas for a generator, or buy them a generator that breaks all the time? And I don't have to maintain a diesel pickup for my crews? Win. Double win.

And side bonus, if my guys plug this thing into the temporary power pole at a site and borrow some power to charge the truck, since the GC / developer / owner is supposed to supply temp power as part of his contract anyway ? Double win.

And if I'm someone who owns a trade, and I live someplace that I can charge this thing every night, or I give this to my \ superintendent who drives to various jobsites and I don't have to pay diesel fuel / repair costs for 30,000 miles a year and my super can let his guys charge / power their stuff when I'm on site? Huge win.

So yeah, this thing is going to sell a TON.

I don't think so. The problem is the dealership model. Most will buy online but costumers must go to the dealer for pickup. I've already seen stories where the dealer markup will be $5,000. Some people may be good with that but this is going to kill the sale of the truck. Another issue is when a customer comes in to look at one of the lightenings, they will probably be directed to an F-150. You know, the number one selling truck.

• Funny
Reactions: Cal1 and FlatSix911
I don't think so. The problem is the dealership model. Most will buy online but costumers must go to the dealer for pickup. I've already seen stories where the dealer markup will be $5,000. Some people may be good with that but this is going to kill the sale of the truck. Another issue is when a customer comes in to look at one of the lightenings, they will probably be directed to an F-150. You know, the number one selling truck.

That will be short lived once supply ramps up. Shiny new things always command a price premium....tried to buy a Plaid lately? But Ford's in this for good and as soon as supply chain and manufacturing catches up, these will be sold alongside all the others, likely with $$$ on the hood.

Also, the Lightning is an F-150. it's not the Ford Lightning. It's the Ford F-150 Lightning. So, it's just another trim level of the F-150, and will be lumped in with F-150 sales numbers.

One of many reasons I will not get the lightning, to long but having to go thru a dealership for everything is a problem for me.

For individual owners, I can see this. Fleet owners tend not to be dealer adverse and this won't be an issue for them.

This truck is not for everyone. I'd never advocate as such. But the truck market is HUGE. Huge. Really huge. It doesn't take much of a % of the market to have a successful product.