Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD Better on newer Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I currently own a 2020 models and received a 2022 model s plaid as a loaner vehicle (no idea why they would use these as loaners). The Plaid had FSD and it seemed to work much better than my 2020 model s - smoother, less erratic breaking and cleaner turns. Is there any reason why this would be the case? Believe both cars use essentially the same camera systems.

^

The 2022 has a newer faster MCU and better cameras. Hardware 4 is what is called.
What's your understanding on latest cars and whether they have a forward facing radar unit?

I'm eligible for the current offer to transfer my FUSC from my mid-2016 MS90D to a new MS by the end of the year. While I hadn't intended to replace my car for maybe another 12 months, this clearly has me seriously reconsidering making the jump now given I use superchargers for about 40-45% of my total miles on long-range travel (will do about 1,500-1,600 miles over the next week, plus maybe that again by Thanksgiving).

I've driven a new MS LR demo unit over the past couple weeks, getting comfortable with most of the differences, like vision only, not ultrasonics, but don't have a clean answer from my local service center on radar inclusion with current new production vehicles.

Thanks!

The hardware 4 includes a High Definition radar. I am sure it is not fully programmed yet, but I think it is installed. No motion sensors on any Tesla now.