Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is getting a refreshed model s in black a bad idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S hood picks up 90% + of the tiny chips from road debris, not the sides. But yes, MSM will show less paint issues, swirls, etc. given much lighter color and metallic finish. I just had ceramic installed on mine today, and detailer happened to mention how tough black is to maintain. But it’s a different look too.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Isn't this problem "solved" (albeit expensive) by getting the whole car PPFd?

If I really wanted black, I'd consider it worth getting the whole car PPFd and then ceramic coated. Rock chips, swirls etc no more!

Black from ANY manufacturer, is a nightmare to keep perfect . (if thats your thing). If I purchased new, I'd get PPF for black. Not because I think PPF is so great at protection, but at least it would help reduce swirls and marring from polishing, buffing, etc.

Why exactly is "PPF not so great at protection"?
Not what I said. My statement was "not that I think PPF is so great at protection".

And that statement was based on my experience. Had PPF on the front bumper of my prior S. After 1 year, a number of small but visibile nicks in the PPF. And No, the hot summer heat didnt "self heal" them. You Cant touch up PPF, so if my goal was to have PPF to ensure I had a flawless look on the front bumper, then it didnt meet my goal. Had to live with the small nicks.

Contrast that to My wifes Y. Had it for 1 year and about 11k miles. decided to go with No PPF on front bumper cover. Y driven almost on exact same roads as the S. So far, have had a total of about 6 very tiny (less than 1/2 of 1 millimeter each) nicks. But watched a ton of youtube videos on how to properly touch up, including very lightly sanding edges of the nicks/chips to even the area out. Then apply small dab of touch up to the side of the nick/chip, then use gloved finger to spread the paint over/into the chip/nick. Let dry, repeat the touchup 2-3 more times until the level is even with the surrounding paint. Then lightly buff with polisher.

The touch up process ends up reducing visibility of the former nicks by about 90%. You literally would have to have known where they were and get within 1 foot to see them. At a fraction of the price of PPF. So for my needs/requirements, PPF isnt for me.

Also, Im not 100% certain that PPF left on for several years in all sorts of weather, will come right off with zero chance of paint damage underneath. With touch up, thats a non issue. Also, again, just based on my experience. I've owned literally maybe..20 cars over my lifetime. With the exception of the S, none had PPF on them anywhere. And I've always been able to sell them (after years of ownership) at or near highest private party value for them at the time of sale. Not a single buyer ever said "so many chips on here, I can only offer you less than what you are asking".

So for ME...PPF nowhere near worth the cost. Again..for me. Others feel much differently..and thats ok. Also, at an average of about $6k to have an entire car done in PPF? I'd most likely skip the PPF, and if needed, for $5k get the entire car repainted same color years down the line.

We always put PPF on the car, but only on the hood and front bumper. That's where the chips are. The deal with PPF is that you can pull it off and have it replaced with new if too many rock chips appear. Not like touch up paint, and it looks new again, but you don't need to do the whole car. I have one chip that went through the PPF and through the paint, but it doesn't look like it dinged the metal. I put a drop of touch up on it so it doesn't show. The thing is, it's a car, and chips happen, so it's not worth losing sleep over a few tiny chips.

If you love black you need To be prepared to either keep it clean by wiping it down daily or
Getting it washed twice per week. My last 5 cars have been black. Love the color. It does take work to keep it looking good. When I was living in New Jersey, during springtime, sometimes I would get car hand washed and wake up to a pollen coated car the next day. I used a brush to wipe the pollen off every morning.