Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replacement is getting out of hand - cracks...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y. Cracked windshield within 2 months of taking possession. Thought it was bad luck. And surprised that such a small pebble would lead to a full crack over whole glass. Don't mind rock chip repairs but was insanely fast how it spread within minutes and became a non option.

Now onto my 4th windshield in 3 years. Huge cracks form after small rock chips. Have noticed lots of chatter about similar stories and starting to wonder if that glass on the Model Y (and sounds like 3) is brittle/ fragile/ poorly designed/ leads to full windshield cracks that go beyond simple chip repairs.

Anyone stumble onto any good options? At $1000 a pop this is getting a bit expensive.

B

Reactions: KJD
I'm also on my 4th windshield. First one happened 2 days after taking delivery. I've just always used the glass policy of my insurance. Tougher glass is one of the things I'm excited about for my Cybertruck (when I eventually get it).

talk to a tint shop.. here in calif (USA) my buddies shop can install clear shield (like a tint that helps with protecting the windshield)
Nice idea but it would take a long time to make it worth it based on the few $$ per month I spend on glass replacement on my insurance policy. I think it's about $3 more per month. I guarantee you're not getting that shield installed for less than about $400 in SoCal.

I drove my Model 3 for 140k miles and repaired and filled 5 different rock chips, always before the damage spread. If you get the initial damage before too long you can often avoid replacement and only have a tiny distortion in the glass.

With my Model Y I got a crack within the first 5k miles, and no other damage in the last year.

Rock chips are pretty much luck of the draw in my opinion with a small chance to catch them if you see the impact and fill it quickly.

Haven't replaced a windshield yet in our 3 or Y, but I have had rock chips filled on each of them so far.🤞However I had a jeep wrangler I averaged at least two windshields a year in that vehicle (thanks to the windshield that was almost vertical).