Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is internet connection working via a USB 4G/LTE stick?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if WiFi-less (not WiFi capable) 4G/LTE USB stick can be used to give the Model 3 premium connectivity?

The USB stick one can use with their laptopt and a SIM card? (I.e. Huawei Unlocks E3372h-320 LTE / 4G 150 Mbit / s USB Mobile Broadband Dongle: Amazon.de: Computer & Accessories)

I find the WiFi-free version safer as it does not emit WiFi signal outside of the car, no one can then connect to the same network the car is connected to.

If this is proven not to work then has anyone tried the WiFi version, to avoid premium connectivity charges?

In order to use premium connectivity without a subscription to it from tesla, you must connect the cars WIFI to a wifi hot spot. What type of hotspot doesnt matter, as long as the car can connect to a wifi hotspot (that is itself connected to the internet via cellular, if the goal is to use it on the road).

So, no "wifi free" device will work, because plugging in a USB does not provide a connection to the car (the car does not behave like a computer, you can not transfer data to the car using USB for example).

I have no idea if a cellular USB stick would work but its a solution looking for a problem, because there are much easier ways to generate a wifi connection (like the smartphone most people have in their pocket).

@davidand you need to use an external hotspot, such as your phone, a WiFi router, or LTE modem and connect the Tesla Display to your hotspot by WiFi.

Note: Since the release of the 2021.24 update users have now the option to keep WiFi on when the car shifts into gear.

Previously as soon as you shifted into gear, the WiFi connection would have automatically been turned off.​
To do so, you have to go to WiFi Settings and choose the option to 'Remain Connected in Drive'.​
Music and video streaming, internet browsing and Caraoke will be available while connected to a hotspot.​
However, live traffic visualizations and satellite map views will still require the premium connectivity option.​

Last edited:
Reactions: VivekDr