Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it just me, or are the charging time estimates during multistop nav trips whacko?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've typically never had an issue before, but now when I have a trip plotted out in the nav the charging estimated time remaining is practically useless. Number one, it only originally gives me the "time to continue trip", but if I want to charge beyond this point it used to instantly change to estimated time until charge complete...but now it just goes into some weird cycle of doing charge until needed to complete trip over and over even though it's already charged past this point. It really makes it difficult to estimate how much time we have to eat/shop/potty/whatever during a charging stop while on a long trip. Am I the only one seeing this recently?

Reactions: posity
Yup, AFU now. It is really getting old how each new software release has gotten worse over the last 6 years of Tesla ownership. Wipers worked for about a year, now AFU. Cruise control now forces wipers into auto mode but auto wipers are beyond terrible. Cruise control essentially does not work in the rain because cameras get wet/dirty. Phantom braking still occurring even when no cruise or autopilot on. FSD rife with bugs, no way I trust it, especially in rain. And now even something as simple as remaining charge time has gone berserk. Something is very wrong with software development at Tesla.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Yup, AFU now. It is really getting old how each new software release has gotten worse over the last 6 years of Tesla ownership. Wipers worked for about a year, now AFU. Cruise control now forces wipers into auto mode but auto wipers are beyond terrible. Cruise control essentially does not work in the rain because cameras get wet/dirty. Phantom braking still occurring even when no cruise or autopilot on. FSD rife with bugs, no way I trust it, especially in rain. And now even something as simple as remaining charge time has gone berserk. Something is very wrong with software development at Tesla.

I got my Y just recently and didn't have rain so far. Very disappointing to hear about the poor rain performance. My old AP1 S would stay in cruise control with auto steer in extremely heavy rain (Florida type). To a point where I had trouble seeing the lanes. Very impressive. That was a 2015 model car.

Glad to see I’m not losing my mind, because I swear I don’t remember it behaving this way before.

Additionally, I forgot to include another quibble of mine. While, I certainly do “get” the whole precondition for battery-bit…this “behavior” is also completely jacked up… I’ve seen the “precondition”-ing happening where navigating to a Supercharger: 45 miles away, 30 miles away, 10 miles away, and pretty much all distances in between. You know when I hardly ever see it preconditioning though??? Yeah, that’d be anywhere that actually CLOSE to the time I arrive at the Supercharger. Mind boggling…

Glad to see I’m not losing my mind, because I swear I don’t remember it behaving this way before.

Additionally, I forgot to include another quibble of mine. While, I certainly do “get” the whole precondition for battery-bit…this “behavior” is also completely jacked up… I’ve seen the “precondition”-ing happening where navigating to a Supercharger: 45 miles away, 30 miles away, 10 miles away, and pretty much all distances in between. You know when I hardly ever see it preconditioning though??? Yeah, that’d be anywhere that actually CLOSE to the time I arrive at the Supercharger. Mind boggling…
I noticed that as well. It starts preconditioning 45 min before the arrival. That doesn't make sense. It uses extra energy early on which might be missing later should it get tight with remaining energy. There could be a detour or other situation that requires more energy than predicted. IMHO preconditioning should start as late as possible.

Reactions: mcsenerd
A couple weeks ago on .44.30.5.1 on cool yet not cold mornings I twice nav-ed to the same supercharger about four miles away. On the way, as usual it said it was preconditioning. However on arriving and plugging in, each time it displayed a message on the lower LH screen admonishing me: "Next time, navigate to the supercharger so the battery can precondition for fast charging." The message remained on the screen the entire session and couldn't be dismissed.

I expected the battery wouldn't fully warm up in the 10 min trip there, and the charge rate reflected this - my choice. The erroneous message and inability to dismiss though, were unexpected and not a good look from nanny Tesla.

I'm not trying to completely bang on Tesla or anything...I think other makes/models have similar "issues" or worse... It's just that I'd hope that things for Tesla would "improve" and not instead be backsliding. I've only got around 1700 miles on the 2023 MYP that I traded my 2021 LR7 + AB in on, but thus far, it's a very one step forward, one or two steps back-type experience for me.

I guess it could be the NAV "recalculating" based on traffic data, etc. but it still seems very wasteful to me. Number one, there just isn't a valid time to start preconditioning a battery a full 50 minutes to an hour away from any Supercharger, and secondly, like my daughter and I were discussing in the car on our trip yesterday where this behavior occurred AGAIN, that it is just plain stupid... It's basically, "here...let me burn up a bunch of extra uneccessary kWs so that you can shove the "wasted kWs" back in about 20-30% faster when you finally arrive. I'd like to see some real numbers and testing about the energy efficiency of this sort of behavior (not time...energy/power).

In semi-related news...here's a screenshot from my Stats app concerning this MYP and if you believe this...well, do I have a real estate deal that you just shouldn't pass up! 86kWh...Yeah, right...
IMG_3308.jpg