Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it just me... squeaks and rattles already?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Five days of ownership, less than 300 miles, and my dash and center console are rattling and squeaking like an old chevy truck with 200,000 miles on it!

I'm not pleased.

In the "olden days" 2012, 2013, and even into 2014, Tesla would fix your squeaks and rattles, no problem. These days , they're so slammed, I think they would laugh at this request now.

Anyone else with this issue? Or is it just me and this Model 3?

I cant say that my car is perfect, but there are very few noises I hear from the interior. It is very quiet and solid.

Only hear 2 rattles, and neither one are regular. Both happen only at certain frequency/road speeds. I have heard a faint buzzing from the seat belt tensioner. Only heard it once, yesterday I heard a similar buzz from the Drivers side A pillar.

Don't write your issues off though, try a tone generator app for your phone to reproduce the noises through the speakers. If you can reproduce them at the SC you can get them fixed.

2700 Miles here and happy with every aspect of my P3D.

Reactions: PA ZU
Mine had two horrible dash rattles. Like, ball bearings in a can bad. They fixed it at the service center. Tesla's really taking advantage of their direct sales model because I wouldn't have bought the car off a dealer lot like that. Now there aren't really any rattles but there are still quite a few interior creaks when going over rough payment. Nothing too objectionable but a little worse than my ten year old Lexus GX.

I have squeaks and rattles in my dash. Had one in the passenger seat belt height adjustment thing and they fixed it once, but it is rattling again now.

The SC will still address them, but YMMV if they manage to fix them. You gotta be able to reproduce them, which can be hard.

I tried the tone generator thing, but couldn't get it to elicit any rattles and I worried a bit about damaging the speakers inadvertantly using it.

Mine had two horrible dash rattles. Like, ball bearings in a can bad. They fixed it at the service center. Tesla's really taking advantage of their direct sales model because I wouldn't have bought the car off a dealer lot like that. Now there aren't really any rattles but there are still quite a few interior creaks when going over rough payment. Nothing too objectionable but a little worse than my ten year old Lexus GX.

A little worse than a ten year old car is pretty bad. I'm praying for mine to be blessed by the gods.

Reactions: SCW-Greg
Just noticed this on my AWD 3 I picked up on a Labor Day. About 1200 miles on it. Lots of creaking sounds coming from the dash starting a week ago. At first I thought it was rain drops, then drove on a sunny day and same thing. Slower speeds and on less than perfect pavement will bring on the creaks. Anything else and it’s silent. Definitely gonna have it checked out soon.

4500 miles and for the most part mine is quite. Occasional rattle from passenger side (can't locate it), rare rattle occurs in steering column, rare rattle occurs in the seat belt tensioner. I've noticed the rare ones only really occur if it's really hot outside.

... Not a single squeak or rattle *knocks on wood dash*

I'd say bring it in.

Well that's kind of what I'm wondering, I have the white interior, which has the white dash trim, rather than the wood. The creaks could be coming from this dash build, which has less production curve under its belt? When I hold down on the dash to see if I can get it to stop, it doesn't really help... so I'm thinking it coming from deep inside the dash. I haven't figured out the center console yet either.

And yes, it's not always present, just on some certain rougher roads and speeds.

So I made an appointment to have this looked at on Tuesday with the Tesla service center. We took it for a test drive together with one of the guys when I got there, and they quickly acknowledged there was a squeak problem. They gave me a Model S for the day. The following day (yesterday - 24 hours later) they had my car fixed, Now it sounds great/quiet again! Not sure what all they did, but Kudos to the PDX Tesla Service Team for the quick ability to take the car in and get it turned around, for something certainly annoying, but in the scheme of things — trivial.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCalGuy