Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it rude to ask?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On street parking I'm afraid, and wouldn't want to cause a trip hazard at night.

It was a rare occurrence tonight as I had been out on a site visit in the day and didn't have time during the day to charge so needed a top-up on the way home.

I will move my car away with 95% if was asked even in the middle of having dinner. I know what’s the 30 mins mean to other people as a EV owner.

• Love
Reactions: CMc1 and curmudgeon
I would of probably asked the bar staff if they knew who it was, and if they didnt, just keep an eye out for it leaving. May be different after an hour if it hadn't moved.

If I was asked to move it during having a meal, I would probably of took even longer having my meal.

(I don't currently have my car yet)

• Disagree
Reactions: OOvOO
I pulled up in a Pub car park (Loughborough Harvester) to charge my car before tomorrow (no home charging for me unfortunately). A lady with an E golf was already plugged in and the charge was at 95% and was then full within a few mins. I popped in to ask the staff "kindly" if the person who is charging could free up the CCS. They asked the lady who is now in a full blown meal and told me I have to wait while they finish there meal! Is this a fair situation?

Just wondered on the charging etiquette regards these chargers at pubs etc
50kw+ or 7kw? I wouldnt even ask for anything below 50kw. 50kw+ then Its ok to ask, but its definitely ok to be told no you must wait.
A Supercharger is a different ball game...

Have I just contradicted myself? does the 50kw act the same as a supercharger in this scenario?

I'm sure I will be in this situation at some point as I won't have home charging initially. I would certainly ask as the car is clearly charged enough at 95% but would be happy to wait. The location in question shows up as 50kW CCS on Zapmap, they couldn't have been there long as Polar charge a blocking fee after 90 minutes.

Just to fill in the blanks regards the situation:

1. I turned up and parked next to the golf and saw a SOC of 94% on the charger screen.
2. A few mins later a Lady came out to take photo of her licence plate and she saw the screen at 95-96% (she went up to the charger to look, so she did see the SOC)
3. She went back in - This is when i assumed she was putting her reg into the Computer inside and was ready to leave.
4. Car hit 100% a few mins after she appeared. (These Golf's charge very quickly from 95% to 100%)
5. i sat in my car for a further 5-10min waiting (Watching Youtube!) after the car had hit 100%
6. i then went inside thinking she had forgotten and I also to put my reg in to avoid a ticket.
7. I asked the staff politely and described the lady to the staff with a golf plugged in, and told them that it had finished and if it was ok for me to use.
8. Pub was not busy so the Staff member knew who i was describing.
9. Not sure what was said between staff & lady.
10. Staff member told me to wait and she'll move it when she’s finished.

So the fact that the lady knew her car was almost full and saw me sitting in my car when she came out was the odd bit! And she knew she was going back in to eat a meal!

I presumed rapid from the fact the OP said CCS.

What am I missing here?

Why do so many people feel it is OK to continue to occupy a charging spot when already fully charged and people are waiting?

I'm not saying everyone else is wrong, I'm just puzzled at the complete opposite reaction to most other situations when a car that no longer needs the charger is blocking others from using it?
Everyone's thoughts about etiquette differ, sadly. There is no hard and fast rule, and no one is given training or guidance when they buy an EV. I wonder whether many people even know how quickly their charge tails off on a rapid charger after ~90%. When I first got my i3 I tested rapid charging it up to 100% (I waited in the car, no one else turned up) and it took almost as long to do the last 5% as the first ~70%.

Intuitively it feels a bit like poor form to go off and start having a lunch somewhere when their car could end up charging that last 5% for another hour, while someone else with next to no charge wants a splash and dash, but at the same time in the absence of explicit knowledge I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

You could always hit the emergency stop button of course, which is another can of worms.

Reactions: CMc1 and davidmc
A rare situation ultimately but I think some patience and understanding from both parties would go a long way during this limited charger situation we are in. It's not rude to ask, but be prepared for a NO and consider other nearby options to charge. If you turned up to a petrol station and the pumps were out of order you would go somewhere else, you wouldn't get annoyed at the guy behind the till.

It's an odd situation that you 1) were able to ID the woman, 2) were able to see her charge state at 100%. Without knowing both of those, you would have simply drove away and charged elsewhere or waited patiently.

• Disagree
Reactions: OOvOO
Just to fill in the blanks regards the situation:

1. I turned up and parked next to the golf and saw a SOC of 94% on the charger screen.
2. A few mins later a Lady came out to take photo of her licence plate and she saw the screen at 95-96% (she went up to the charger to look, so she did see the SOC)
3. She went back in - This is when i assumed she was putting her reg into the Computer inside and was ready to leave.
4. Car hit 100% a few mins after she appeared. (These Golf's charge very quickly from 95% to 100%)
5. i sat in my car for a further 5-10min waiting (Watching Youtube!) after the car had hit 100%
6. i then went inside thinking she had forgotten and I also to put my reg in to avoid a ticket.
7. I asked the staff politely and described the lady to the staff with a golf plugged in, and told them that it had finished and if it was ok for me to use.
8. Pub was not busy so the Staff member knew who i was describing.
9. Not sure what was said between staff & lady.
10. Staff member told me to wait and she'll move it when she’s finished.

So the fact that the lady knew her car was almost full and saw me sitting in my car when she came out was the odd bit! And she knew she was going back in to eat a meal!
I think this is poor form as described. Since she saw you were waiting and that she already had 95%+ charge.

Unfortunately people are inconsiderate, and some people are stuck in the mindset of having to fill all the way up to 100% like they would in an ICE at a garage. Not excusing her attitude, because it sounds in this instance that she simply didn't care that you were waiting.

I think as the proliferation of EVs increases rapids will have to either stop charging and release the cable at ~90% and/or the overstay charges that some implement will have to actually become more draconian.

Reactions: CMc1 and curmudgeon
This is what happens in Glasgow to people who hog spaces after 100% - where do you draw the line? :eek:

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-24 at 18.06.21.jpeg

What am I missing here?

Why do so many people feel it is OK to continue to occupy a charging spot when already fully charged and people are waiting?

What I inferred was that the people who say they would finish their meal will be quite happy, when they rock up and find charger occupied and 95+% charged, to just sit in their car and wait patiently for the person to return.

If that's not the case then they can't hold an either-way view, surely? :)

Reactions: CMc1
The fact she took a photo of her own reg implies: 1) it's a new (to the driver) car, hence potentially still unfamiliar with the workings, including how charging works, how much time it takes, etc, and/or 2) the driver is a bit hopeless/disorganised (can't remember own reg). If either of those situations is true, I don't blame her (well I'd blame her for being disorganised, but some people are just like that, it's not really their fault). These (EV charging etiquette) are tricky new waters we're navigating, and I suspect there is a *lot* more pain ahead (we're only at the beginning!).

As far as expecting someone to interrupt their meal to move their car in this situation, that's incredibly rude -- a meal is a sacred thing, and the five minutes it would take to move the car are the difference between a relaxed warm meal, and a rushed cold one. I can understand having to move a car because it's blocking something important, but to give someone else access to a charger, no way.