Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it still called ICEing when it’s a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
Mid-day on Thanksgiving, we pulled into the San Mateo Supercharger. The nav showed 1 of 12 stalls available, but when we pulled in, all 12 were full. We became the first car in a waiting line. While waiting, the nav still said 1 was available. I counted cars and stalls: 12 of each. I have wondered just how real-time the stall availability stats are, and didn’t think much more about it.

Soon someone left, and we pulled in and started charging. We went for a short walk. When we returned to our car, I happened to notice that the Tesla to our right was not plugged in. This was the same car that had been there when we arrived. The driver was busy tapping away on his phone. The passenger was similarly engaged. And so they sat for the duration of our charge. We finished and left. Two Teslas were awaiting stalls.

This definitely explained the nav reporting one stall free.

I suppose in his defense, maybe the car had died and they were waiting for a tow.

But do we still call it ICEing when it’s not an ICE car blocking the stall?

Tesla should modify the firmware so that the button on a supercharger handle will open the charge port even if the key is not present. Then, folks could plug the vehicles back in so that the users would get hit with appropriate idle fees. We could call that practice "revolting".
I believe the Model S & 3 behave exactly like this. Only the Model X won't open the charge port w/o the fob present.

Simply knock on the window, ask how things are going. If they are disabled kindly ask them to put it in tow mode so you and others can push the disabled car out of the way. If it isn't disabled, simply ask them to move since there are people waiting to charge.

What is up with the hesitation to talk with people? Who knows why they were there or what they were doing unless we ask?

• Helpful
Reactions: Type 5
Tesla should modify the firmware so that the button on a supercharger handle will open the charge port even if the key is not present. Then, folks could plug the vehicles back in so that the users would get hit with appropriate idle fees. We could call that practice "revolting".
As of a couple weeks ago this worked. The Denver - Lone Tree supercharger was full of cars but showed 1 stall available in nav and while driving passed I noticed a Model 3 that had forgot to plug in before going into the mall. Either they genuinely forgot or they were using the SuC space since the mall was rather busy but either way I was able to walk up, push the button on the handle, and plug them in after their charge door opened and the port unlocked.

I should note that there were several other cars that pulled up thinking they would be able to charge that then had to find places to park nearby to watch for open spots.

As of a couple weeks ago this worked. The Denver - Lone Tree supercharger was full of cars but showed 1 stall available in nav and while driving passed I noticed a Model 3 that had forgot to plug in before going into the mall. Either they genuinely forgot or they were using the SuC space since the mall was rather busy but either way I was able to walk up, push the button on the handle, and plug them in after their charge door opened and the port unlocked.

I should note that there were several other cars that pulled up thinking they would be able to charge that then had to find places to park nearby to watch for open spots.
No need to explain, you were clearly just being a helpful fellow Tesla owner. The owner of that depleted Model 3 clearly just forgot to plug their Model 3 in before scurrying off to do their holiday shopping. Totally understandable given the stresses this time of year can put on us all. You did the right thing and I'm sure once he or she returned they were glad that their car was charged up to get them back on their journey and didn't even realize the forgot to plug it in on the front-end. I mean, they could have done it intentionally and returned to a plugged in car with idle fees but nobody would do that, right? ;)

Also, as I stated previously, I think this is exactly how all S & 3 cars behave. One can open the charge port and plug in w/o the fob even being present. I believe the X uses some sort of different charge port setup so this isn't the case and the fob needs to be present in order to open it and plug in to start charging but most of the Teslas on the road can simply be plugged in even w/o the fob present. They need to figure out a way to get the X to do this so we can help other owners out who "forget" to plug their cars in. :p

Moderator note: 11 off-topic posts moved away.
Take a picture of the VIN then a picture of the full SC. Send it to Tesla Customer Service and explain the inconvenience this customer is causing to the many.
I’ve only had my Tesla going on three days now so I don’t know if this would bear any results.
You could pre-print a couple of Nasty-Grams, stash them in your glovebox to politely place under their wiper when something like that happens.
Who knows what really happened with the car at Lone Tree. I think the “Me Too” movement has morphed into the “Me Only” movement.
Just a guess.
Merry Christmas!

• Funny
Reactions: Evoforce
Take a picture of the VIN then a picture of the full SC. Send it to Tesla Customer Service and explain the inconvenience this customer is causing to the many.
I’ve only had my Tesla going on three days now so I don’t know if this would bear any results.
You could pre-print a couple of Nasty-Grams, stash them in your glovebox to politely place under their wiper when something like that happens.
Who knows what really happened with the car at Lone Tree. I think the “Me Too” movement has morphed into the “Me Only” movement.
Just a guess.
Merry Christmas!
It's cute that you think simply sending a message to Tesla will do anything. I get that you've only owned one for three days (welcome) & I'm not judging so please don't take it that way. The first time you have a problem so bad it renders your car disabled completely and you discover the complete lack of urgency by Tesla even on something like that you, too, will share in a good chuckle about how you thought they would care to do anything about this situation. Tesla customer service is basically non-existent so no way will they get involved on something like this.

Reactions: sdoorex