Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it time for Tesla to split into two brands?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
Is it time for Tesla to split into a luxury brand and a "regular" brand? Just like Lexus/Toyota, Infiniti/Nissan, Ford/Lincoln, Chevy/Cadillac, etc.

Tesla is starting to do things that alienate the luxury car buyer, like not giving you a loaner or Uber or anything when you bring in your $100,000 car. Lexus doesn't treat you like that.

Is it time for Tesla to split into a luxury brand and a "regular" brand? Just like Lexus/Toyota, Infiniti/Nissan, Ford/Lincoln, Chevy/Cadillac, etc.

Tesla is starting to do things that alienate the luxury car buyer, like not giving you a loaner or Uber or anything when you bring in your $100,000 car. Lexus doesn't treat you like that.
I got a loaner last month, but it depends on inventory. With Tesla selling off their S/X, they'll probably be low for a while.

FWIW, Audi never gave me a loaner. I had to get a rental car...seems the case with some BMW locations according to Reddit, too. Ford always gave me loaners.

edit: I guess same goes for Mercedes with loaners. It's hit or miss depending on the location.

Not sure if that qualifies as luxury.

Reactions: APotatoGod

Right now, Tesla’s least expensive model starts at $44,630 retail in the U.S. (before tax credits) which is still pretty pricey as the entry point for a "regular" brand. Those others brands mentioned (Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chevrolet, etc.) each have several models with starting prices much lower than that.

Right now, Tesla’s least expensive model starts at $44,630 retail in the U.S. (before tax credits) which is still pretty pricey as the entry point for a "regular" brand. Those others brands mentioned (Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chevrolet, etc.) each have several models with starting prices much lower than that.
True, but Tesla is starting to really degrade their service for all customers which is annoying AF if you pay $100k for your car. Like no loaner vehicles.

I used to have a Lexus and the service provided to Lexus owners was way above what was provided to Toyota owners.

Tesla seems to have moved towards providing Toyota levels of service for greater than Lexus (in terms of price) vehicles.

True, but Tesla is starting to really degrade their service for all customers which is annoying AF if you pay $100k for your car. Like no loaner vehicles.

I used to have a Lexus and the service provided to Lexus owners was way above what was provided to Toyota owners.

Tesla seems to have moved towards providing Toyota levels of service for greater than Lexus (in terms of price) vehicles.

I don't necessarily disagree but Tesla has chosen to "degrade their service" and doesn't seem particularly interested in giving customers a "luxury brand" experience at this time. I don't think creating two brands would be the answer, certainly not with the current lineup.

Experiences can vary but it's even debatable whether Tesla's sales and service model has ever been "luxury" caliber and that may turn off some people. It all depends on what someone wants in their car shopping/buying/owning/servicing experience.

Maybe as more and stronger BEV competition continues to come from other luxury brands, Tesla will have to change its tune a bit.

Neither the Tesla service center nor our local BMW dealer has been able to give me a loaner for a while. The BMW dealer has just a few loaner cars that always seem to be gone.

And I will take the 5% price drops on S and X models over a service loaner any day.
This was what I was saying. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi, according to Google, no longer regularly give out loaners. Only when they have inventory to do so, but it appears it's pretty often they do not. They also do not offer Uber credits.

It seems more "luxury" brands are going away from loaners while Ford, Chevy, etc still have them.

• Informative
This was what I was saying. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi, according to Google, no longer regularly give out loaners. Only when they have inventory to do so, but it appears it's pretty often they do not. They also do not offer Uber credits.

It seems more "luxury" brands are going away from loaners while Ford, Chevy, etc still have them.
My guess is Ford, GM, etc. dealers will drop loaners soon. With EVs price wars coming or here now, the dealers will be more and more squeezed out money the little money they make from new car sales. And the lack of service requirements in EVs will eat into their margins. So, freebees like loaners will be disappear as they try to stay profitable.

Brand names are not going to change the service you receive. That is such a huge misunderstanding.