Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surreal Dealership Visit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I just spent some time thoroughly looking over a dealership lot yesterday, something I haven't done in a long time. It was a Ford dealership. I found it to be a surreal experience.

First surreal observation was that Ford does not sell any cars anymore. I didn't even realize that. No Fusion, no Taurus, no Focus, nothing but the Mustang. As I was looking at the Mustang, the salesman told me that the Charger, Challenger, and Camaro are all gone too. It seems domestic American auto manufacturers have abandoned making cars. Either foreign brands have run them out of the market, or no one drives a car anymore, or maybe a mix of both.

Second surreal observation was the prices of the vehicles on the lot. Barely a vehicle under 60K. The cheapest vehicles there were a few Escapes and, perhaps surprisingly, the Mustang Mach-E's. I thought I was buying a really expensive truck when I bought an F-150 Lightning Lariat, but it was barely more expensive than everything else there. Is this a new normal, or were they only stocking top tier models for some reason?

Then there are the trucks. Every single one of them a SuperCrew (4 door). Not one Super Cab (2 door 2 row) or regular cab on the lot. I asked about this, and they said the SuperCrew is the only one that sells, and that he had maybe just one person in the last year ask about the Super Cab. I knew the SuperCrew was the most popular, but no one even asking about anything else and nothing else on the lot?

Could be the nature of this dealership was due to the nature of the surrounding community, but I was a little bothered by all of this. It was almost creepy. I've always been a domestic auto and Ford guy, and it bothered me that there seemed to be whole classes of vehicles not represented. And, Tesla aside, Ford is I think the strongest domestic auto brand. Chevy always seems to be struggling, and Chrysler essentially no longer exists.

The whole experience kind of made me feel like America is a bit unwell.

With so many buyers choosing the much heavier SUVs and premium trucks over traditional 4 door sedans, the average gas mileage has actually gone down over time. People claim to support the environment, but are buying vehicles which offer capability.

• Funny
Reactions: MitchMitch
Capability they don’t need.
I love how people profess to know what others do and don't need...
Frankly the thought of a society where I'm only allowed to have what someone else (government, or some "social better") thinks I need, unless I somehow justify to their satisfaction why I "need" it, is utterly terrifying.

Having capability available even if I don't "need" it right now (whether it's a vehicle, tool, or something else) is very useful. I've had far too many cases where that capability that I didn't "need" on a day to day basis saved my butt one day--or at least made what could have been a very long unpleasant time waiting on "'just' call someone" or "'just' go rent one" into a minor inconvenience. I love my MY and don't really miss driving an old F150 at all... but dang if it wasn't useful to be able to throw that big dirty thing in the back RFN. If only Tesla made a Maverick-sized (and not CT-styled) truck...

First surreal observation was that Ford does not sell any cars anymore. I didn't even realize that. No Fusion, no Taurus, no Focus, nothing but the Mustang. As I was looking at the Mustang, the salesman told me that the Charger, Challenger, and Camaro are all gone too. It seems domestic American auto manufacturers have abandoned making cars. Either foreign brands have run them out of the market, or no one drives a car anymore, or maybe a mix of both.
Crossovers in particular have become the modern day station wagon--easier to load (thanks to a hatch vs. a trunk) but with a slightly higher and more comfortable seating position. I know at 38 years old my old I found my hatchback Focus less comfortable to get in and out of than it was when I bought it new at 19, and I'm in fairly good shape. The few extra inches of height even in a MY make a big difference, and the extra space over a cramped Focus make things much more comfortable.

You can blame social pressure, or maybe marketing... but IMHO sedan-style cars (compact or otherwise) generally come off poor in most areas of comparison other than absolute cost and maybe performance. They sit lower and are harder to enter/exit. The smaller trunk opening makes it harder to get things in/out, especially "fold the seats down" stuff like bikes and such (a capability I used all the time on my beloved hatchback Focus). The seating position is less comfortable to some people.

I don't think this fully explains the "full size SUV" market, but it certainly does explain crossovers.

Is this a new normal, or were they only stocking top tier models for some reason?
I think (as a Covid fallout) dealers are tending to mostly stock more-profitable higher trim levels (aiming for the impulse buys and the need-a-car-now people). You can still get lower trim levels if you're willing to order and wait, but those probably tend to sit on lots longer (and I bet they always did).
I knew the SuperCrew was the most popular, but no one even asking about anything else and nothing else on the lot?
Pickups at retail have almost universally gone to quad cabs because a major portion of the market is now individuals (who use it as a daily driver, or even the main family vehicle), as opposed to being spartan work vehicles mainly hauling large loads in the bed. Many businesses find the crew cabs more convenient too (e.g. landscaping companies) because they can fit the whole crew in one vehicle with a trailer. I too find it absurd that this market has become dominated by the "full size" truck over something more Maverick/Ranger sized, but I think we all know the unintended consequences of the CAFE rules. This may change as BEV trucks come out; the old idea that a full-size doesn't really cost any more to produce than a full-size doesn't hold as well when battery cost is a major driver and the smaller truck can use a smaller battery.

As with trim levels, you can still get short cab trucks, but they're special order or you go to a commercial/fleet sales office that probably has a lot full of white base model short cab trucks.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin