Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it totaled 22 MYP? Passenger front tire/fender collision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you estimate how fast were they going? As long as there isn't major damage, I agree with Saj070. Be prepared for at least a month of repairs.

Curious saj070 - is the 50% value specific to your state from your knowledge?
50% exceed repair cost Insurance company will pay out than fix this is not specific state should apply to any state

I have a friend who is an under writer and the rule is for any insurance company if the repair cost exceed 50% or more they will give you the option for a buyout if they do not then ask them because if you factor in 20% diminished value $10k then it cheaper for the insurance company to buy out the car and sell it in the auction copart for 40%

This will relieve any additional cost after the Repairs and law suits

This^

a police report should be filed. They are liable. Police should be able to obtain insurance info using the ID and tag number.
I did file a police report but it was online, I called but Los Angeles police do not show up unless someone is injured. They literally tell you they cant come and ask you to fill it out online. From my experience, if anything happens in LA County that does not include bodily injury, they will not come. I lived in a couple of different counties in Southern California and i've only experienced this with LA county.

Last edited:
Cops didn’t make them give you all the info needed?
Los Angeles cops dont show up unless someone is hurt. I even tried to waive down a passing police but they did not stop. I called it in but they said to file the report online. Their side (group of 6, ages 15-20) were aggressive, unfortunately it just didnt feel safe and not worth risking trying to get more info aside from the ID (not drivers license) of a passenger and the license plate.

Los Angeles cops dont show up unless someone is hurt. I even tried to waive down a passing police but they did not stop. I called it in but they said to file the report online. Their side (group of 6, ages 15-20) were aggressive, unfortunately it just didnt feel safe and not worth risking trying to get more info aside from the ID (not drivers license) of a passenger and the license plate.
Sorry to hear that, that’s a sucky situation. We live in different worlds, this almost doesn’t compute for me.

Reactions: Yelobird
Can you estimate how fast were they going? As long as there isn't major damage, I agree with Saj070. Be prepared for at least a month of repairs.

Curious saj070 - is the 50% value specific to your state from your knowledge?
I was going about 35-40 mph on the second from the right lane, they were pulling out of a drive way maybe 10-15 mph turning left. The right lane (closes to the driveway) was blocked with traffic so they probably did not have any visibility into my lane which was completely free. I had about 1 second to react, I honked, braked, and swerved but they still kept moving forward and hit on the side.

Sorry to hear that, that’s a sucky situation. We live in different worlds, this almost doesn’t compute for me.
Yeah, i was lucky that the security guard of the building nearby came to help diffuse the situation allowing me to break away and wait in the car until the tow truck arrived. Even though there are laws in place, it does not mean everyone cares to follow them.

50% exceed repair cost Insurance company will pay out than fix this is not specific state should apply to any state

I have a friend who is an under writer and the rule is for any insurance company if the repair cost exceed 50% or more they will give you the option for a buyout if they do not then ask them because if you factor in 20% diminished value $10k then it cheaper for the insurance company to buy out the car and sell it in the auction copart for 40%

This will relieve any additional cost after the Repairs and law suits
Thank you for this info! I'll definitely ask them.

Please keep us updated on how well Tesla Insurance handles the situation.
Update - Just called the 844-34-TESLA insurance number, i already have an adjuster assigned but its a holiday today so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to talk to them.

Also, I took a look at their list of approved collision centers (Collision Support | Tesla) and the closes official Tesla one which is Santa Monica is booked up until May 😦 !! However, the next closes one about 60 miles away can take it in this week but I need to talk to the adjuster first to figure out if the tow would be covered by my insurance or if I'll have to use a local approved body shop.

Last edited:
Reactions: vet757
Update - Just called the 844-34-TESLA insurance number, i already have an adjust assigned but its a holiday today so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to talk to them.

Also, I took a look at their list of approved collision centers (Collision Support | Tesla) and the closes official Tesla one which is Santa Monica is booked up until May 😦 !! However, the next closes one about 60 miles away can take it in this week but I need to talk to the adjuster first to figure out if the tow would be covered by my insurance or if I'll have to use a local approved body shop.
Not surprising these days. A lot cars are waiting on parts that can take up to a month to several months depending on availability. It might be worse for Tesla owners as they have less approved shops to choose from.

Not surprising these days. A lot cars are waiting on parts that can take up to a month to several months depending on availability. It might be worse for Tesla owners as they have less approved shops to choose from.
I waited a few days to get all the info, here are my updates:

Monday Feb 20:
  • I called Tesla Collision Center in Aliso Viejo, they confirmed they could take the car in that day and it would take 5 business days to do the inspection
  • I had the initial conversation with the adjuster, provided details of incident and photos. Told me to look for a repair center to fix the car, I said I had already found one but needed a tow which he said to check with roadside assistance since it would not be covered by the insurance.
  • I scheduled a tow via Tesla Roadside Assistance to take it from LA to Aliso Viejo, roughly 60 miles. They usually require the owner to be there at pick-up but i got them to do it without me. I opted for the "plus" coverage so it covered up to 100 miles. The tow provider picking up my car covered the holding fees that garage where my car was stored from Saturday night to Monday morning.
    • Note - getting those fees resolved was a hassle because the garage took forever to calculate its fees and the tow provider was unsure on who was paying for those. I almost had to pay out of pocket for that but at least the adjuster said it would be refunded. After 1 hour plus of calling back and forth with the garage and the tow, they figured it out so I did not need to pay.
Wednesday Feb 22:
  • Spoke with the adjuster to review the incident details. He offered a car rental but i decided to wait given that i did not know how long the repairs would take.
Friday Feb 24:
  • I tried calling the Tesla Collision Center multiple times throughout the day, but no one picked up. I tried to check on the status of the inspection.

Monday Feb 27:
  • I called the Tesla Collision Center about 30 minutes after they opened, they said the inspection was done but the report was still being worked on and that I'd get a call when its done.
  • Tesla Collision Center reached out around 2pm giving an estimate and timeline of the repairs. Total cost $16,042 for labor and parts taking roughly 6 weeks. The timeline is a rough estimate given that they cant start on the repairs until they can move the car onto a frame bench, which they only have 2 in that center - my car is second in line right now.
    • I was told the details of what needs to be repaired but I wasn't able to write it down but I'll be asking for the paperwork from the shop when i pick up the car so i can include that report in the diminished value claim.
Tuesday Feb 28:
  • Spoke with the adjuster to clarify on next steps
    • Tesla policy only covers 30 days for car rentals, so i decided to wait 2 weeks from now to get a rental
    • The other vehicle did not have insurance so my Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) coverage kicks in and covers my deductible
    • I asked about a diminished value claim but he said he needs to talk to his supervisor, he is not familiar with the process (he's probably new to Tesla insurance??) and he will get back to me on that

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with how things are progressing. I 100% agree that the service is not great and that the only reason I was able to get things going pretty quickly was because I took the initiative to call all the shops, got information, and scheduled everything myself. If you're waiting on the insurance to do all the work of finding a repair shop and transporting the car, it would take forever and you might get a bad shop that might not have the tools needed to repair the car.

For now I guess there is not much else other than waiting 6 weeks but if anything changes, I'll post here.

Monday Feb 20:
  • I called Tesla Collision Center in Aliso Viejo, they confirmed they could take the car in that day and it would take 5 business days to do the inspection
  • I had the initial conversation with the adjuster, provided details of incident and photos. Told me to look for a repair center to fix the car, I said I had already found one but needed a tow which he said to check with roadside assistance since it would not be covered by the insurance.
  • I scheduled a tow via Tesla Roadside Assistance to take it from LA to Aliso Viejo, roughly 60 miles. They usually require the owner to be there at pick-up but i got them to do it without me. I opted for the "plus" coverage so it covered up to 100 miles. The tow provider picking up my car covered the holding fees that garage where my car was stored from Saturday night to Monday morning.
    • Note - getting those fees resolved was a hassle because the garage took forever to calculate its fees and the tow provider was unsure on who was paying for those. I almost had to pay out of pocket for that but at least the adjuster said it would be refunded. After 1 hour plus of calling back and forth with the garage and the tow, they figured it out so I did not need to pay.
Wednesday Feb 22:
  • Spoke with the adjuster to review the incident details. He offered a car rental but i decided to wait given that i did not know how long the repairs would take.
Friday Feb 24:
  • I tried calling the Tesla Collision Center multiple times throughout the day, but no one picked up. I tried to check on the status of the inspection.

Monday Feb 27:
  • I called the Tesla Collision Center about 30 minutes after they opened, they said the inspection was done but the report was still being worked on and that I'd get a call when its done.
  • Tesla Collision Center reached out around 2pm giving an estimate and timeline of the repairs. Total cost $16,042 for labor and parts taking roughly 6 weeks. The timeline is a rough estimate given that they cant start on the repairs until they can move the car onto a frame bench, which they only have 2 in that center - my car is second in line right now.
    • I was told the details of what needs to be repaired but I wasn't able to write it down but I'll be asking for the paperwork from the shop when i pick up the car so i can include that report in the diminished value claim.
Tuesday Feb 28:
    • Tesla policy only covers 30 days for car rentals, so i decided to wait 2 weeks from now to get a rental
    • The other vehicle did not have insurance so my Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) coverage kicks in and covers my deductible
    • I asked about a diminished value claim but he said he needs to talk to his supervisor, he is not familiar with the process (he's probably new to Tesla insurance??) and he will get back to me on that

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with how things are progressing. I 100% agree that the service is not great and that the only reason I was able to get things going pretty quickly was because I took the initiative to call all the shops, got information, and scheduled everything myself. If you're waiting on the insurance to do all the work of finding a repair shop and transporting the car, it would take forever and you might get a bad shop that might not have the tools needed to repair the car.

For now I guess there is not much else other than waiting 6 weeks but if anything changes, I'll post here.
You can still do small claims for your deductible and any out of pocket, and file with DMV against the driver for no insurance/license.
DMV will take action against them for legal infractions.

You can still do small claims for your deductible and any out of pocket, and file with DMV against the driver for no insurance/license.
DMV will take action against them for legal infractions.
With my UMPD coverage I wont be paying any deductibles or out of pocket. Also the other driver did not provide their ID, by the time I got out from my car during the accident, all the people (teenagers) on the other car had already gotten out and I was given an ID (not drivers license) of one of the passengers and I did not know who was actually driving at the time. Fortunately the car's side camera recorded who was driving but i assume they didnt have a license that why she did not give me her ID. So I dont think there is much i can do in terms of reporting to the DMV.

Monday Feb 20:
Wednesday Feb 22:
Friday Feb 24:

Monday Feb 27:
Tuesday Feb 28:

Just keep in mind 6 weeks might = 12.

Monday Feb 20:
Wednesday Feb 22:
Friday Feb 24:

Monday Feb 27:
Tuesday Feb 28:

Still perplexed by your calm view on this. In fact you seem more critical of Tesla and service then you are in Aggressively pursuing an arrest on the at fault owner?? UMPD or not you Will be penalized for this in time, cost, a long term damaged car, rentals, a beyond. The other owner blew you off, falsified driver ID’s which you have proof, uninsured, they laugh and leave and you’re dismayed with the effort you need to make to get service. Seems like you‘re willing to just move on and do this to the next innocent victim. I would be requesting a police arrest and car/assets collection.

Reactions: GoVols!
Still perplexed by your calm view on this. In fact you seem more critical of Tesla and service then you are in Aggressively pursuing an arrest on the at fault owner?? UMPD or not you Will be penalized for this in time, cost, a long term damaged car, rentals, a beyond. The other owner blew you off, falsified driver ID’s which you have proof, uninsured, they laugh and leave and you’re dismayed with the effort you need to make to get service. Seems like you‘re willing to just move on and do this to the next innocent victim. I would be requesting a police arrest and car/assets collection.
I agree!

Reactions: Yelobird
This does not even compare to other things i've dealt with before, I am just glad no one got hurt. Yes, I can try to go after the other driver but they are just some dumb teenagers, given that they were driving an old beat up car without insurance and honestly came off as underprivileged (appearance, vocabulary, demeanor), it will cost me more time and actual out of pocket money to legally pursue damages only to confirm that she (and her parents) have nothing. I am fortunate to be in a position to be flexible with how i deal with this, so if my insurance policy is going to cover everything including the diminished value, then I'll be ok, however if the insurance decides to go after them legally, then thats out of my control.

Also, if you've never dealt with Los Angeles police, then know that any claims i make will never see the light of day.

Reactions: carlos31820
This does not even compare to other things i've dealt with before, I am just glad no one got hurt. Yes, I can try to go after the other driver but they are just some dumb teenagers, given that they were driving an old beat up car without insurance and honestly came off as underprivileged (appearance, vocabulary, demeanor), it will cost me more time and actual out of pocket money to legally pursue damages only to confirm that she (and her parents) have nothing. I am fortunate to be in a position to be flexible with how i deal with this, so if my insurance policy is going to cover everything including the diminished value, then I'll be ok, however if the insurance decides to go after them legally, then thats out of my control.

Also, if you've never dealt with Los Angeles police, then know that any claims i make will never see the light of day.
Fair enough but the teenagers aren’t the concern. It’s the Parent that knowingly loaned this vehicle out assuming ALL liability that is a concern. The next victim for the parents callus disregard May loose a life or injure them for ever. If that parent can buy a car and support a farm of kids they can assume responsibility for their actions. Wish you the best.