Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is load capacity too low?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But why put weaker brakes in Model Y in comparison to car's GAWR capacity?

pure speculation for the purposes of conversation.... my guess is that design intent was centered around more of what we are appearently actually seeing....most Y owners are only using the hitch for very light duty...bike racks, etc... or small trailers only very rarely. It's probably more of an urban station wagon than it is a utility vehicle.

They clearly did not do that in other Tesla's.
Good question.
Are you saying this based on a ratio of GVWR to axle weight ratings?..meaning that the other models have the two numbers closer to the same like most other cars and trucks?
I'm left wondering about Sandy Munro's speculation in his tear down video about the Y frame being prepped for air suspension. Perhaps air suspension is planned for the variants with 3rd row seating, and maybe that air suspension will alter the max load ratings.....

I sure do wish a Y owner youtuber with factory tow package would tow a trailer without trailer brakes and right at capacity (3500/350) and evaluate more than just the range, but evaluate handling, stopping, ride quality, etc..... I suppose that anecdotally at least that would answer some of these questions.... if the thing handles well then we'd get an idea about de-rating the numbers.... or if it handles poorly then maybe it has a little something to do with dynamics, wheel base, etc....

Reactions: Dcd7041
I was looking at some camper trailers like the Flagstaff e-pro 16bh, it’s had a dry weight of 3100 Lbs, anyways I have been doing a lot of research on RV’ing etc and I ran into this video about towing. There are people that modify their trucks to pull or tow higher then the rated truck weight. What this guy is saying yes it can be done but when the truck towing the trailer and it crashes and they find that the Original Factory tow weight of the truck was a lot less then what it was towing, you’re in a world of hurt especially if it goes all wrong meaning people die. It’s probably off topic here but it’s very interesting when it comes to keeping way under that 3500 Lbs.

Axles are connected to the frame though. If there is a frame weakness, it should have impacted GAWR, but clearly it doesn’t.

I am not saying it can’t be but I can not think of any reason why and how axles can carry 6.5k lb but the frame can only carry 5k lb. At the end, GAWR is not a rating for a single part, it is the entire car’s weight carrying capacity measured by the front and rear axle independently. If the frame would get damaged once you put GAWR weight to axles, then GAWR is not calculated right.

The frame just doesn't only have to handle a straight 3500 towing pounds though. It has to deal with larger G forces in turns, hard braking, initial load on pulling (particularly up hill). There's a lot of bending moment that needs to be taken into consideration when establishing a maximum safe load, hopefully with a reasonable safety factor built in. The Y has plenty of power and the brakes should be more than adequate especially with trailer brakes factored in. Only things really left are structural integrity and suspension.

Your explanation suggests GAWR reflects a static capacity, which is not true. GAWR is a dynamic capacity of the whole car, measured at each axle independently. Hence all the other forces you mention that impacts frame, should be in affect when you load the car based on the axle capacity.

Even if I am missing your point and you are right, why Tesla makes such a weaker frame compared to axle capacity in Model Y, versus all the other models they designed becomes a mystery. Considering GAWR/GVWR for Model Y is 1.25 vs for 3, X, Y, it is 1.04 to 1.07. And Tesla's other models are very much inline with other manufacturers. Model Y is a clear outlier.

Reactions: Flybuddy
I started looking at the Audi etron. It seems to have a greater towing capacity and much more cushion in the GVWR for a larger cargo capacity than the model Y does....
but
as best as I can tell...and I haven't so far found a full official spec sheet with all these numbers.... but it seems that the tongue weight limitation is the same at 350#

Think I'm gonna take a closer look at that one. On the surface at least...and except for the limited range, it seems at first glance to offer a lot over the model Y.

Model Y's with 20" tires have the biggest limitation. 2300lbs max for the trailer and 230lbs tongue weight. See model Y manual: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf page 72 - pretty disappointing that I paid extra for the 20" wheels and got short changed on load capacity.

$1200 tow hitch
$2000 20" tires

2 E-bikes, gear and a Thule Pro bike rack can put you over 230lbs if your not careful.

Model Y's with 20" tires have the biggest limitation. 2300lbs max for the trailer and 230lbs tongue weight. See model Y manual: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf page 72 - pretty disappointing that I paid extra for the 20" wheels and got short changed on load capacity.

$1200 tow hitch
$2000 20" tires

2 E-bikes, gear and a Thule Pro bike rack can put you over 230lbs if your not careful.

Wanted to follow up on this as I had the same feelings when Tesla stated the capacity of the 20" wheelset. I had my hitch installed last week and wanted to triple check I knew what all the little colored trailer icons meant again and went into the most current owners manual and discovered the 20s are rated for the full 3500 lbs so long as you don't have more than 3 people. Here is a quick screenshot of that specific page for reference. So not sure why that one extra person+ costs you a 1k lbs?

9BA5172B-AD1C-446B-897D-8EF6EB8326B1_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: iustin