Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is main screen resetting normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had the car freeze on the main screen a lot since delivery 2 months ago. Tesla took it and said they see the issues and updated firmware. The car would make the music skip noise like old cds with a scratch.... and even the turn signal would work but the noise could click 10 times a second. It would do this and then restart the screen almost every day at some point. After they updated it there has only been one incident about every 300km. I guess I want know if that's now normal.

My real concern has not happened since they did the fix and that was the collision avoidance alarm went off a few random times before it would freeze with no cars around. That seems to be rectified now.

Pic below is left screen blank as main screen freezes randomly. Normally we have music on left.

Attachments

• 20160611_124331.jpg
    20160611_124331.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 94
I have the main screen randomly booting not too often but a few times. The audio skipping presents itself to me while listening to a Tunein station. But the same skipping happens on the same station on my Grace Internet radio at home. So it seems to be in my case not a Tesla problem.

Do you have a usb drive with music? I was having a lot of this very problem and tesla service said I had to remove it every time I get out of the car. Such a silly thing but I took the drive out over a month ago and I've only had one spontaneous screen reboot and no laggy stuff like you've noted. I wish they'd fix it.

I have a pre-AP 2014 car and I always keep USB thumb drives in both USB slots. In the 2.5 years I have owned my car, the screen has froze/rebooted itself less than a handful of times. I think what you are experiencing is not normal. It may be that your USB thumb drive has a defect or issue that the car doesn't like, or I've read that something in your NAV history could cause problems (maybe clear your history) but if you no matter what you try it keeps rebooting I wouldn't take that it's normal as the answer.

I always have a USB drive full of music plugged in. The screen used to crash about once a month, now it's more like every 3 months. The last time was a bit scary though. The entire screen went black while on the highway at night. Pretty shocking, but it rebooted without any problems. Enough display on the driver's screen stayed up that we could continue without stopping, which was good since we had just entered an entrance ramp!

I have a similar issue and experience it once a month. It goes away after rebooting the main screen. The symptoms vary from side mirrors not opening to the screens freezing. The audio glitching like CD skipping is what tends to be consistent.

yeah forgot about that, mirrors have done that while driving.

I dont use USB, but I will try the history thing

I have had the main screen reboot itself once in over 3 years of ownership. USB drive has been plugged in for the duration of ownership. Doesn't sound normal to me to crash/reboot that frequently. I noticed nav getting slow and clearing nav history (I had 3 years worth) improved performance.

My 2012 had issues with periodic reboots at first, but it got progressively better over time and now it is extremely rare. Of course I'm not running the autopilot firmware.

My one recommendation is to always reboot the screen after a firmware update. It's not unusual for the touchscreen computer to be a little glitchy or even crash after a firmware update. Proactively rebooting it seems to prevent that.