Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is MX auto park consistent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you used auto park frequently? I haven’t initiate it once since had my Mx for a week. I went couple of time at parking lot, and paid closer attention on passing the spot and drove slowly like 3-5 miles/hour, I didn’t see any “P” Sign showing my screen. There was only once when I was drove out of my garage and on the ally passed by the neighbors garages, I guess it detected the garage spaces as park space. Not sure if I am missing anything or this feature is not very reliable?

thanks in advance!

Situation | Chance of P showing up

Driving in a parking lot slowly passing an empty parking space between 2 cars | 50%
Driving on the street slowly passing an empty space between 2 parked cars to your right | 50%
Stopping at the traffic light with 2 cars to your right or left with 2nd car leaving a little gap | 100% :D

Just to be sure, when you are in the parking lot, you drove pass a spot sandwiched between 2 cars right? Autopark is not looking for empty parking spot. It is looking for 2 cars with a gap in between to your left or right when you are driving slowly. If the 2 cars are perpendicular to you, it will do back in autopark. If the the 2 cars are parallel to you, it will do parallel autopark. And it doesn't always show up. I was not kidding about the 50%.

Situation | Chance of P showing up

Driving in a parking lot slowly passing an empty parking space between 2 cars | 50%
Driving on the street slowly passing an empty space between 2 parked cars to your right | 50%
Stopping at the traffic light with 2 cars to your right or left with 2nd car leaving a little gap | 100% :D

Just to be sure, when you are in the parking lot, you drove pass a spot sandwiched between 2 cars right? Autopark is not looking for empty parking spot. It is looking for 2 cars with a gap in between to your left or right when you are driving slowly. If the 2 cars are perpendicular to you, it will do back in autopark. If the the 2 cars are parallel to you, it will do parallel autopark. And it doesn't always show up. I was not kidding about the 50%.
Not sure Tesla will improve this more accurate with MCU2? Or software update?

Not sure Tesla will improve this more accurate with MCU2? Or software update?
I've yet to see it once in the 3 weeks I've had my MX - either with MCU1, or after upgrading to MCU2. A lot of work left to do in that department. This, and the inability to read speed limit signs, are the 2 things that have me scratching my head about seeing FSD anytime in the near future.

If you do manage to get lucky and have it pop up - be sure to pay close attention if you decide to use the feature. It can randomly fail for no reason, and in the worst case crash into your surroundings. Personally I had it grind my wheels against the curb when parallel parking, but I've read stories of people having it crash into pillars in parking garages. On top of that it's also really slow to park, even in wide open spaces. I've seen it take 3 iterations to park in a wide open spot that I could have done in one.

Overall it's a negative value add feature that's no more than a party trick that can go wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: Hwood
If you do manage to get lucky and have it pop up - be sure to pay close attention if you decide to use the feature. It can randomly fail for no reason, and in the worst case crash into your surroundings. Personally I had it grind my wheels against the curb when parallel parking, but I've read stories of people having it crash into pillars in parking garages. On top of that it's also really slow to park, even in wide open spaces. I've seen it take 3 iterations to park in a wide open spot that I could have done in one.

Overall it's a negative value add feature that's no more than a party trick that can go wrong.
I couldn't agree more. In fact, with the "side view" feature that's coming on the next firmware install, even parallel parking will be a breeze.

Glad to know that, I probably never use it. maybe either this is fading away feature or a life change improvement with new software/firmware updates? Who knows, feels it’s really unnecessary even though a party trick.

If you're basing your opinion on parallel autopark from before Smart Summon, take another try at it. There were some huge improvements in the behavior when Smart Summon showed up. The big one is that it no longer comes to a stop to turn as much.

Perpendicular autopark is still useless. It will turn a single quick move in to three sluggish ones.

I wonder if people are driving faster than 5 mph when trying it? I do wish there was a way to initiate it to look for spots ie. actively tell the car what you are trying to do because when parking ... and especially with people in the car with you ... you are not in a great mode if your car is not working well. I mainly only care about parallel parking. I'm decent at it but would rather the computer do it.

knsuebn.jpg