Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my 2013 60kwh really only worth $35,000 from Carmax, or should I put in effort to try for more?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being out of the b2b warranty (and no extended warranty) may be factors for the middling quote too.

If you need something smaller, there's this car called the Bolt. ;)

He said he had a hassle trying to charge his Tesla - which is one of the reasons he's going back to a gas car. Makes sense because charging an EV still isn't nearly as convenient nor easy as fueling an ICE if you don't have a garage.

I wonder if there is any way for tesla to retroactively install a tech package enough to do navigation only. $?

Honest question, how do you like that? Are you able to see superchargers on maps? Stall openings?

Honestly, on a "classic" Tesla, I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not having the tech package (especially now). Navigation is really the only thing, the map still shows me all the superchargers with all of the corresponding info, I can search for something (voice command, "Starbucks") and it will show me where it is on the map, it just doesn't draw the line and tell me how to get there. Traffic updates are on there. Air suspension works based on geo-location. Every smartphone has navigation, so I didn't see the need to spend $3500 to get navigation. Tesla can upgrade to give me navigation, but it's expensive because it requires a different MCU. After AP1 functionality came out, it seems like the tech package became sort of useless anyway, so I don't think they would ding me that badly on trade in for not having it...I suspect it's mileage on my car, but even so, the car is in excellent condition, hardly any battery degredation and since it includes unlimited supercharging, I'm sure I could do much much better with a private sale. My car even (mysteriously) includes premium interior lighting and self dimming mirrors, which at the time were linked to either tech or leather (neither of which I have).

• Informative
Reactions: kwjayhawk
Honestly, on a "classic" Tesla, I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not having the tech package (especially now). Navigation is really the only thing, the map still shows me all the superchargers with all of the corresponding info, I can search for something (voice command, "Starbucks") and it will show me where it is on the map, it just doesn't draw the line and tell me how to get there. Traffic updates are on there. Air suspension works based on geo-location. Every smartphone has navigation, so I didn't see the need to spend $3500 to get navigation. Tesla can upgrade to give me navigation, but it's expensive because it requires a different MCU. After AP1 functionality came out, it seems like the tech package became sort of useless anyway, so I don't think they would ding me that badly on trade in for not having it...I suspect it's mileage on my car, but even so, the car is in excellent condition, hardly any battery degredation and since it includes unlimited supercharging, I'm sure I could do much much better with a private sale. My car even (mysteriously) includes premium interior lighting and self dimming mirrors, which at the time were linked to either tech or leather (neither of which I have).

I echo this, and had much of the same thinking. Tech package at the time was pretty much voice navigation (that extra blue line on screen), that would've been interesting, and it would've cost a lot on top of a car that was already the most expensive I'd ever bought in my life. I don't have any rear/front ultrasound sensors, side mirror sensors, or anything that would've been enabled by a tech package.

My car also had oddities / feature combinations that were changed shortly after. I had LED eyebrows but with old halogen headlights before that possibility was yanked.

I echo this, and had much of the same thinking. Tech package at the time was pretty much voice navigation (that extra blue line on screen), that would've been interesting, and it would've cost a lot on top of a car that was already the most expensive I'd ever bought in my life. I don't have any rear/front ultrasound sensors, side mirror sensors, or anything that would've been enabled by a tech package.

My car also had oddities / feature combinations that were changed shortly after. I had LED eyebrows but with old halogen headlights before that possibility was yanked.

Oh, right. Mine came with halogens as well (all cars had DRLs at that time) but I upgraded to xenon myself with a $75 kit from Amazon. This made a huge difference, the halogens were awful!